Headshots for summer associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Headshots for summer associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:52 pm

So this summer I will be working for a V100 in a big legal market. I've been asked to submit a photo along with some biographical info, and the request states that while a professional photo is not necessary, it will be seen across the firm and should be suitable for that use. Thoughts on getting a professional headshot done? It seems expensive (I did a quick search and found it to be around $300 from a good studio), but I want to make a good first impression. What's the norm here?

sandiego222

Bronze

Re: Headshots for summer associate?

Post by sandiego222 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:55 pm

:lol:

Just go to Walmart

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Is this for real?

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Not sure if serious, but either way made me laugh

:lol:

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:07 pm

This thread makes me feel bad about sending in a selfie I took with my potato phone

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Haha I'm glad it made some of you laugh but yes, it's a serious question. I haven't worked at a big firm yet and I don't want to show up with lousy looking photos when everyone else comes in with professional ones. Was wondering what the standard is/what you guys did for yours.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Just get passport photos done at CVS or wherever. That's what everyone at my firm did

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So this summer I will be working for a V100 in a big legal market. I've been asked to submit a photo along with some biographical info, and the request states that while a professional photo is not necessary, it will be seen across the firm and should be suitable for that use. Thoughts on getting a professional headshot done? It seems expensive (I did a quick search and found it to be around $300 from a good studio), but I want to make a good first impression. What's the norm here?

Did you have a picture you sent in for your student ID? If so, just send that.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So this summer I will be working for a V100 in a big legal market. I've been asked to submit a photo along with some biographical info, and the request states that while a professional photo is not necessary, it will be seen across the firm and should be suitable for that use. Thoughts on getting a professional headshot done? It seems expensive (I did a quick search and found it to be around $300 from a good studio), but I want to make a good first impression. What's the norm here?
just spend the $300. you're gonna make plenty of money this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I found a place in NYC that does them for $50 - my firm also reimbursed me for it (Cravath - up to $70). https://www.facebook.com/macbethphoto

I had trouble finding an appropriate middle ground too. It's also nice to have for linkedin, etc.

You can also just call up studios, explain your situation (I'm a student, just need a very simple, single headshot) - and they will usually work with you to get the business

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 pm

lots of bad advice ITT. OP you're gonna need to give a more precise vault range for your firm to get any useful advice.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Our firm asked for a headshot just for a summer intern guide they put together. It helps you identify the people you will be working with and has a brief autobiographical section. The headshots on the firm website will be done once you actually begin employment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:43 pm

My firm emailed me the exact same thing. I just cropped a facebook picture of me at a wedding. I don't think it has to be anything super nice.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm

patogordo wrote:lots of bad advice ITT. OP you're gonna need to give a more precise vault range for your firm to get any useful advice.
Can we also discuss reimbursements? We know V2 reimburses up to $70, but what about V7 or V8?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm going against the grain and say get a semi-professional picture. My picture looked terrible and it was posted in teh break room and shit.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm

My law school's marketing department helped me with head shots. I took them on the day the photographer was on site and got them for free; otherwise, it would have been $100 for the photographer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I was an IT guy at a big firm (I actually had to put these pics up for summers and new associates), this is definitely a thing at big firms. Your pic will likely be on your bio on the firm's intranet. I don't think the quality of the pic matters as much as dressing appropriately - think formal interview (from the waist up at least).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:00 am

But you can wear your Jams from the waist down.

xfer2013

New

Post by xfer2013 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:38 am

What if you have a selfie with a legit celebrity? I could see the value in submitting something like that because everyone is like, "woah, he's friends with Jennifer Lawrence!" But maybe not as professional?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”