Stigma against In-house counsel 1L internship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stigma against In-house counsel 1L internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 pm

I'm currently going through interviews at a few fortune 100 companies as a summer associate/intern in their in-house counsel's office. What's the stigma if I want to make the transition to V10 or V50 law firm during OCI, if any? Lets assume I have the grades to qualify.

I have a business/finance/entrepreneurial background - worked in international iBanking doing M&A/VC-PEG fund raising for 2 years after college, started/sold my own company in college, etc.

At T20 located in the midwest, ranked in top 40% of the class. Looking at NYC/Chi markets with interests abroad as well.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Stigma against In-house counsel 1L internship?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm

There isn't any stigma. People who get biglaw during 2L OCI do all kinds of things during 1L summer. In-house is a very common option and I'm not sure why you'd be worried about employers looking down on it. Just focus on your grades.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

none that I've ever heard of.

the stigma you need to worry about for biglaw is median grades @ T20.

hoos'2430

New

Post by hoos'2430 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 pm

I was in house my 1L summer, and snagged a V50 through 2L OCI. While not a 1L summer associate position, firms seemed to love it.

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote: At T20 located in the midwest, ranked in top 40% of the class. Looking at NYC/Chi markets with interests abroad as well.
Does this just mean WUSTL or Minnesota? I'd focus on getting the grades up as high as possible, at least to top 33%. Going to be hard snagging nyc biglaw with grades close to median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am

Cleary, Simpsons and Cravath didn't mind my in-house internship at a mid-sized bank when they gave me my offers.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:01 pm

No one cares what you do your 1L summer as long as it's law related. Your 1L summer can only enhance your job prospects for 2L summer if the experience you gained in your first summer is somehow transferable to the job you're looking for for your 2L summer.

It's really simple. I've seen this idea that there's a stigma associated with x or y during 1L summer twice now. Is this another dumb meme that people here are spreading?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 pm

zweitbester wrote:I've seen this idea that there's a stigma associated with x or y during 1L summer twice now. Is this another dumb meme that people here are spreading?
Tiago Splitter wrote:There isn't any stigma
patogordo wrote:none that I've ever heard of.
hoos'2430 wrote:I was in house my 1L summer, and snagged a V50 through 2L OCI. While not a 1L summer associate position, firms seemed to love it.
Anonymous User wrote:Cleary, Simpsons and Cravath didn't mind my in-house internship at a mid-sized bank when they gave me my offers

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm

LOL TLS ECHO CHAMBER STRIKES AGAIN, SPREADING CRAZY RUMORS

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
zweitbester wrote:I've seen this idea that there's a stigma associated with x or y during 1L summer twice now. Is this another dumb meme that people here are spreading?
Tiago Splitter wrote:There isn't any stigma
patogordo wrote:none that I've ever heard of.
hoos'2430 wrote:I was in house my 1L summer, and snagged a V50 through 2L OCI. While not a 1L summer associate position, firms seemed to love it.
Anonymous User wrote:Cleary, Simpsons and Cravath didn't mind my in-house internship at a mid-sized bank when they gave me my offers

Yeah yeah. I saw this idea in another thread where a 1L dude was complaining that a V50 summer job would impact his ability to score a V10 for 2L summer.

When I read those posts, I palmface.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”