"Meet the Employers" Event Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Meet the Employers" Event

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Our school (MVP) is having a Meet the Employers event next week where firms, corporations and some PI employers from across the country come in. It is a 2 hour long event that OCP said is great prep for OCI.

What should one expect at these events? I feel like it is going to be fairly crowded as nearly every 1L I've talked to has said they were going. Is it basically just walk up to a booth for a firm, introduce yourself and start asking questions? What kind of questions are expected to be asked? Should a student bring resumes or anything or is it more casual?

Any advice or experiences is greatly appreciated.

BostonLove

New

Re: "Meet the Employers" Event

Post by BostonLove » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Our school (MVP) is having a Meet the Employers event next week where firms, corporations and some PI employers from across the country come in. It is a 2 hour long event that OCP said is great prep for OCI.

What should one expect at these events? I feel like it is going to be fairly crowded as nearly every 1L I've talked to has said they were going. Is it basically just walk up to a booth for a firm, introduce yourself and start asking questions? What kind of questions are expected to be asked? Should a student bring resumes or anything or is it more casual?

Any advice or experiences is greatly appreciated.
We have similar events at my school. Do not bring a resume or anything like that - this is a good opportunity to speak with firm representatives, grab business cards, and grab marketing materials/swag. At ours, most of the firms end up making a kind of circle of people speaking with each firm representative - this makes it easier for people who don't know how to network well but also means you can't have too in depth of conversations. The most important thing is to show interest and speak with all the firms you can, then follow up with them. I also found that some firms send the same people to these events, so the more you go to, the more they recognize you as someone interested in their firm.

I don't go to MVP, but I would expect these events to be largely the same. (I've gone to ones through the school and general community ones.)

Platinum

Re: "Meet the Employers" Event

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:26 pm

There is a lot of overlap between who shows up to these and who comes and does OCI interviews, it serves you well to make an appearance at every firm you are tenuously interested in. Just ask the attorneys about their practice and what drew them to the firm, that's enough to take up 3-4 minutes. Get your swag and by then someone else will be waiting and you can use it as an excuse to dip out. Never linger too long.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”