I don't know what to do Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I don't know what to do

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:51 pm

I just got a screener into a diversity program that places summer associates at firms. I interviewed less than two weeks ago with a District Judge who takes multiple interns and will send out offers next week. How do you approach a judge for an extension on an offer (if I get one)? If I make it through the screener (good odds statistically) I'll be interviewing with firms and could receiver an offer as early as Feb 18ish and as late as March 10. I would prefer the associate position but I don't want to insult the judge and it wouldn't be wise to reject an offer when I don't have another concrete offer yet. I don't know what to do.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: I don't know what to do

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:39 am

You worry about it when you get an offer from the judge. Most judges give some leeway for intern hiring anyway.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 am

hmm i heard if a judge offers you you have to accept..

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 am

AlanShore wrote:hmm i heard if a judge offers you you have to accept..
Depends on the judge, but this isn't necessarily the case for 1L internships

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:28 am

If you receive an offer from your judge and the diversity program is still potentially an option, consider asking one of the judge's clerks whether they think the judge would be willing to extend your offer. Unless the clerk is a dick, this is a less risky way of finding out whether this is a possibility. But, really, don't worry about this until you have to make the decision--you could end up not having offers from either. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 am

OP here, I'm only preparing so that I don't get caught with my pants down if I get the offer from the judge. The reason I'm fretting is because the judge is an alum of my school and the courthouse is basically across the street from the school. Being on his bad side isn't really an option. So if I don't have a tactful way to approach an extension I'll have to accept. If anyone has done this before or if there is some "norm" for doing this I'd appreciate some help.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 pm

You do not owe anything to anyone. Do whatever is best for you. It is an absolutely brutal market it out there and every judge who is a human being will understand you taking a paid firm job instead of a volunteer position. And if he or she doesn't, who cares?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:45 pm

If you get an offer fon the judge, be gracious and honest. Unless he's a particularly pompous judge, he knows that paid legal work > unpaid legal work.

Say, "Thank you so much. I really enjoyed meeting you, and think working in chambers would be an excellent opportunity. However, I have also interviewed for Summer Associate positions at local firms and may not hear back until March 10. May I have some time to get back to you? When do you need an answer?"

Something like that. Put it in your own voice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:01 pm

Lwoods wrote:If you get an offer fon the judge, be gracious and honest. Unless he's a particularly pompous judge, he knows that paid legal work > unpaid legal work.

Say, "Thank you so much. I really enjoyed meeting you, and think working in chambers would be an excellent opportunity. However, I have also interviewed for Summer Associate positions at local firms and may not hear back until March 10. May I have some time to get back to you? When do you need an answer?"

Something like that. Put it in your own voice.
OP. Thanks, I think this is what I'm going to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”