1L at NYU with grades back, came out at 3.33 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L at NYU with grades back, came out at 3.33

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:51 pm

A-, B+ and B. Very frustrated... I've never worked this hard to get a 3.33 in my life.

Where does this put me? I've heard anecdotally that 3.2x is the median, is this true? And even if it is 3.2x, am I "essentially" median for BigLaw purposes?

I have 3-4 years of interesting WE, am "somewhat" diverse and interview well (I think?). I realize that the Wachtells and S&C's are a no go, but what range of firms are in my grasp? And am I still a viable candidate for some of these 1L diversity scholarships?

Finally, I can't say what I did wrong, which is the most discouraging part. I read all the threads on here about how to do well on exams, read GTM, did LEEWS.... I just have no idea what else to do to improve. I set up appointments with the professors to see what I might be able to do better, but aside from that I am clueless. I read a full supplement for each class, did the E&E problems, and took multiple practice tests. Any other tips / advice?

jselson

Platinum

Re: 1L at NYU with grades back, came out at 3.33

Post by jselson » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Chill. Out.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Part of the reason people are encouraged to take the LSAT and get a better score is so that even if you finish at median, you have a good chance to get a job.

Chill out. You'll be fine.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 pm

So you're above median. Your fine. Whats the problem

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

You tried really really hard, and you ended up at/above median at NYU. Good job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Recent NYU alum here. PM me.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

You should drop out, cut your losses while you can.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm

If you repeat or better that performance this semester, you will be in very good shape going into OCI. The ultra-prestigious firms might be out, but that is a select few out of tons of firms.

You have good enough grades to get a large number of good jobs, just keep doing what you're doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 pm

thegrayman wrote:If you repeat or better that performance this semester, you will be in very good shape going into OCI. The ultra-prestigious firms might be out, but that is a select few out of tons of firms.

You have good enough grades to get a large number of good jobs, just keep doing what you're doing.
OP here. Ok thanks for the advice.

Sorry everyone, I think my post came off unnecessarily whiny, which I didn't intend. I guess like every other kid who assumes they'll be grade-on LR, get WLRK, profit I was a bit disappointed. Seriously though, if I equal this next semester do I still have a shot at some of the less grade conscious v10 like Skadden, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 pm

also 1L at nyu, with exact same grades.

does anyone know (roughly) the chances of getting a diversity 1L summer associate job with a 3.33 gpa?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi OP,

I had the exact same grades as you fall 1L and then, with a different combo, ended up again with a 3.33 in the spring and am a K-JD and had several offers to choose from (though nothing in the V10). You'll be fine!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 pm

OP, before deciding whether to drop out wait and see what your spring grades are. If you kill it this semester big law is still an option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:OP, before deciding whether to drop out wait and see what your spring grades are. If you kill it this semester big law is still an option.
Not sure if you're serious, but a 3.33 from NYU should be good enough to give you a good shot at most NY firms (even if you don't improve it) except the most prestigious. I had that GPA back in the rough market of 2010 and had numerous offers to choose from while being K-JD and not having anything special going for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:OP, before deciding whether to drop out wait and see what your spring grades are. If you kill it this semester big law is still an option.
Not sure if you're serious, but a 3.33 from NYU should be good enough to give you a good shot at most NY firms (even if you don't improve it) except the most prestigious. I had that GPA back in the rough market of 2010 and had numerous offers to choose from while being K-JD and not having anything special going for me.
OP here. Thanks for the input! When you say most prestigious, what set of firms are you referring to if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Thanks for the input! When you say most prestigious, what set of firms are you referring to if you don't mind my asking?
V20 are mostly out, with some potential but unlikely exceptions like the firms that take tons of NYU people every year. You should have a good shot for most of the firms below that, again with some exceptions like Munger Tolles and other very selective firms that for whatever reason are further down on the list. Career services is going to hold a session sometime soon where they will tell you which firms typically take only those students with a 3.3 or above. Even though you're technically above a 3.3, you should still refrain from bidding on those firms that they will mention and bid primarily on the NYU heavy firms that are not 3.3 or above except for a few NYU heavy reaches. Of course, this will all depend on your grades second semester which might be very different.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm surprised that the V20 would be out of the question for above median at NYU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm surprised that the V20 would be out of the question for above median at NYU.
i'd edit this advice to say v10, then it'd be accurate.
Same goes for all of CCN--you are probably right below the cutoff at most of the v10 and have to do something to put yourself ahead. NY is the best bet if you're going for "prestige"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm

I think the v20/v10 talk in here is misleading. OP might have a better chance at snagging Weil or Skadden than they do at getting Paul Weiss.
Definitely out: WLRK, S&C, Cravath
Probably out: STB, Paul Weiss, DPW (toss one or two bids)
Possibly in with a stellar interview: Weil, Skadden, Latham, Cleary (toss two or three bids)
Many of these places have giant classes, which cannot be said for many firms lower down the vault. You are not dinged til they tell you you are dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Crowing wrote:I'm surprised that the V20 would be out of the question for above median at NYU.
i'd edit this advice to say v10, then it'd be accurate.
Same goes for all of CCN--you are probably right below the cutoff at most of the v10 and have to do something to put yourself ahead. NY is the best bet if you're going for "prestige"
Even then I'm not sure it's accurate. I know median people going to all kinds of v10 firms, including grade selective ones like Cravath and S&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Go public interest. They're the only ones who will give a shit about your life outside 1L grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think the v20/v10 talk in here is misleading. OP might have a better chance at snagging Weil or Skadden than they do at getting Paul Weiss.
Definitely out: WLRK, S&C, Cravath
Probably out: STB, Paul Weiss, DPW (toss one or two bids)
Possibly in with a stellar interview: Weil, Skadden, Latham, Cleary (toss two or three bids)
Many of these places have giant classes, which cannot be said for many firms lower down the vault. You are not dinged til they tell you you are dinged.

With a 3.33 (which OP shouldn't be thinking about because he has one more semester...), he should be throwing at the bottom of his bid list (because most of these firms are not particularly overbid, in my experience)

S&C (likely ding)
Cravath (likely ding)
STB (toss-up)
Cleary (toss-up)
DPW (toss-up to probable callback)
Weil (probable callback)
Skadden (probable callback)
Kirkland (probable callback)
Latham (probable callback)
Paul Weiss (probable callback)

Forget about WLRK. Everyone else here talking about how a 3.33 from NYU doesn't have a chance at these kinds of firms doesn't know what they're talking about. A lot of these firms will take at least 25-30 NYU 2Ls for a summer program. I know median kids who scored offers at these places. Yes, it'll be hard. Brush up your interview game, but that'll be it.

But hey, instead of making dumb threads about your FIRST SEMESTER grades on this place. Stop posting here, post in the other forums and try to figure out what you did wrong (doing well as a 1L has nothing to do with hard work and everything to do with HOW you work), and focus on GETTING YOUR GRADES UP for second semester.

Getting your grades up second semester will improve your chances significantly more than any other piece of advice being given here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also 1L at nyu, with exact same grades.

does anyone know (roughly) the chances of getting a diversity 1L summer associate job with a 3.33 gpa?
+1

I know there's a thread here about diversity 1L gigs with average grades where the consensus is "nothing to lose by trying," but given that any time spent is a loss in the sense that it could have been spent elsewhere, I'm curious as to whether we have any sort of chance, or whether our time would be better spent hitting PILC hard and studying/preparing for class.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:also 1L at nyu, with exact same grades.

+1

I know there's a thread here about diversity 1L gigs with average grades where the consensus is "nothing to lose by trying," but given that any time spent is a loss in the sense that it could have been spent elsewhere, I'm curious as to whether we have any sort of chance, or whether our time would be better spent hitting PILC hard and studying/preparing for class.
You're over-thinking this. Doing all three isn't that hard, and if you think it is, you will have a very short career in biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Fair enough, you're right.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”