1L SA interview advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA interview advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have a couple of interviews lined up for the next week at big firms. Could you please advice on some questions I should prepare for.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L patent/diversity SA interview advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

-Tell me about yourself.
-Why did you go to law school?
-How's the first semester going (translation: what's your GPA)?
-Why are you interested in IP/patent law? (they're looking for commitment to IP, not just "interested" in it)
-Why do you want to work here?
-Do you have family in the area? (they're looking for geographic ties to the city/region at the office at which you're interviewing)
-Do you want to do litigation or prosecution (correct answer is both for your 1L year)?
-What's your experience been that is diverse? How do you see that fitting in both at law school at afterwards?
-What questions do you have for me? (HAVE questions)

Anonymous User

Re: 1L patent/diversity SA interview advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:00 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]-Tell me about yourself.
-Do you have family in the area? (they're looking for geographic ties to the city/region at the office at which you're interviewing)

What if I don't? How should I politely reply so that I get the job.

Complete disclosure - No connections either but since its just 1L summer, I dont mind getting paid a ton of money for 10 weeks living in a unfamiliar place.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA interview advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Be prepared for the partner who will walk into the office and begin the interview with:
"So what do you want to know about X firm." The rest of the interview will then flow from how and what you ask during your first question.

cfox17

New

Re: 1L SA interview advice

Post by cfox17 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:38 pm

I actually met with an attorney in downtown Cincinnati who works with a large firm. He gave me tons of advice when it came to interviews. He told me you should always keep eye contact, be confident and assertive, also make the reasons known on why you want to work for them and why the location, but also to be flexible. He said they not only want the best students, but they also want people who want to work for them and remain with them for years to come. He also told me that you have to not only have great grades, but you need to have great communication skills too. Told me numerous horror stories of 2Ls and 3Ls who had fantastic grades, yet were like talking to concrete or had no people skills and did not get the job. Ultimately, do not psych yourself out, if you got an interview then that means you probably have good grades so just go in there, be comfortable, and be yourself. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”