Struck out on Texas 1L SA - Give up on Texas as a 2L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out on Texas 1L SA - Give up on Texas as a 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Well seems like I have most likely struck on out on Texas as a 1L. My ties were somewhat tenuous (from Louisiana), upper T14.

I would really like to be in TX, but I didn't manage to land any interviews in Dallas or Houston despite spending winter break down there and trying to network. (Yet, maybe shit could change after I get grades, but I doubt it)

I could strength my ties by taking some PI job in Houston/Dallas as a 1L and try again as a 2L, but I'm worried this may be shooting myself in the foot. It seems like most of the large firms hire mostly 1Ls down there and then split for 2L. I'm envisioning the worst case scenario of then striking out in TX as a 2L after working PI there as a 1L, and then firms in every other region seeing that 1L summer and thus ruining my ties to other cities.

Would it be a better plan of action to give up on trying to make it to TX now and do my 1L summer in a city that hires more 2Ls instead of 1Ls? My school traditionally places a ton of people into NYC, but I also have ties to other secondary markets that hire primarily 2Ls, which I would assume would disregard me if I did 1L summer in TX.

Cliffs:
REALLY want to work BigLaw TX
Struck out on TX 1L SA
Ties to TX as well as other secondary markets
Should I summer 1L in PI in TX to establish more ties for TX 2L, or cut my losses and summer in another market? (public interest job)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Re: Struck out on Texas 1L SA - Give up on Texas as a 2L?

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Last edited by sherpaorlawschool on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:39 pm

keep in mind that 1L SA's are very tough to get regardless, so I wouldn't necessarily use that as a barometer of how 2L will go. I don't know anything about TX market in particular so I won't comment beyond that, but just something to note.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:40 pm

You'll have much better opportunity as a 2L. More open spots and a full year of grades (assuming they come back fairly well). Texas has more 1L SA spots than most places, but there are still not a lot as compared to 2L SA spots.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:30 pm

I don't think it's worth freaking out about 2L yet. Texas does have more 1L SAs compared to other markets, but 2L SAs are still more numerous and easier to get.
Last edited by Jaqen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Wouldn't worry too much about it. 2L classes are bigger than 1L classes at most of the BigTex firms. Obviously do go ahead and throw some NY on your 2L OCI schedule just to be safe but I wouldn't totally write yourself off for Texas.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 am

Drop out and retake.

Alternately, be patient. The ratio of 2L to 1L positions at Texas biglaw is between 4:1 and 8:1, but that's only for the firms that have 1L slots. In addition, a few of the firms with 1L slots don't even interview until late Feb/Early March. I had a combo screener/callback right in the middle of finishing my 1L brief.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:52 am

BVest wrote:Drop out and retake.

Alternately, be patient. The ratio of 2L to 1L positions at Texas biglaw is between 4:1 and 8:1, but that's only for the firms that have 1L slots. In addition, a few of the firms with 1L slots don't even interview until late Feb/Early March. I had a combo screener/callback right in the middle of finishing my 1L brief.
Do you mind saying which firms those are?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 am

I could be mistaken as to which were later, but I seem to recall the latecomers being Winstead, Baker McKenzie, Thompson Knight (who actually cancelled their 1L program last year, but they didn't get around to doing that until pretty late), Brown McCarroll (who are now part of Husch and Blackwell), and I want to say Jones Day, but I'm less sure about Jones Day (if they were late, they weren't very late... early to mid-February perhaps).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 am

You're mistaken about a few things

-1L SAs are the exception, even in Texas. 2L SAs are much more common

-It's very tough to get a 1L SA even in TX, so you striking out doesn't mean much

-I don't think working a summer in TX would necessarily shoot you in the foot for other markets next yr. Most firms realize that 1Ls take what they can get. If you want to be in TX, I would def take a PI gig in the state. If you have decent grades and spent your first summer in TX, then I think the odds are def. in your favor for getting a 2L SA in TX. Even if you don't, having worked in TX for your first summer won't screw you for other markets necessarily (especially not NY)

-keep applying for 1L SAs. I got my TX 1L SA in March

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:27 am

I'm from the southeast with no ties to Texas other than non-firm 1L summer and got offers from Texas firms and other markets after 2L. They really just want a story about why you are interested in their city. I think I even told one NY firm that I didn't really like NY and was just interested in doing the best of X work and they gave me an offer. I would recommend choosing between Houston and Dallas though because you will definitely like one more than the other and sending the rest of your bids to either NY or Chicago to maximize your chances.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 am

There are fewer 1L gigs with big firms nowadays, so I wouldn't give up on Texas just yet. You can always apply to other markets, but I think you should look for a non-big law gig for the meantime. Since you're in Austin, apply to the state agencies and the Texas Supreme Court/Texas Court of Criminal Appeals for internships. Apply for internships with other local state and federal judges. While ties are relevant, your grades will be the most important thing to secure a big law firm clerkship in Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 pm

OP here

Thanks for all the input everyone, really appreciated and definitely renews some hope. Just sorta frustrating when TLS makes it sound like you can just walk into a job in texas (combined with the constant fear of unemployment :roll:

It seems like working in Houston or Dallas is going to somewhat lock you into that city, just based on what I've heard, is this accurate? I assume the Houston market is probably bigger, aside from the cultural differences (and I think some practice area differences.)

Anyways, thanks all, lots of great words here and I'll probably keep pursuing it for the summer thanks!! 8)
legalese_retard wrote:There are fewer 1L gigs with big firms nowadays, so I wouldn't give up on Texas just yet. You can always apply to other markets, but I think you should look for a non-big law gig for the meantime. Since you're in Austin, apply to the state agencies and the Texas Supreme Court/Texas Court of Criminal Appeals for internships. Apply for internships with other local state and federal judges. While ties are relevant, your grades will be the most important thing to secure a big law firm clerkship in Texas.
Not in Austin, upper T14, but I assume the advice would be the same regardless and is pretty much my plan

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Houston is a bigger market and a much more awful city. But yes, Dallas and Houston aren't very fond of each other and you probably won't be able to go back and forth between the two.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 pm

kalvano wrote:Houston is a bigger market and a much more awful city. But yes, Dallas and Houston aren't very fond of each other and you probably won't be able to go back and forth between the two.
I'm not going back to Houston after my clerkship but inside the 610 loop isn't really awful, it just lacks luster. There are some good spots in Midtown, Montrose, and Washinton Street and the food is definitively better.

OP, that's what I've heard but I guess I haven't really targeted Dallas.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:43 pm

I am from Dallas and therefore genetically required to hate the festering cesspool that is Houston. Although I will take issue with the restaurant assertion, Dallas has an incredible amount of exceptional and diverse restaurants.

But OP will likely have to pick one or the other.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Was in the same boat as you my 1L year. Wanted Texas biglaw, totally struck out on 1L hiring, and then went and worked at a PI firm (in Austin) for my 1L summer. Fast forward to 2L OCI, I managed to get offers from big firms in both Dallas and Houston. My suggestion is try to find a PI job in whatever city you'd like to live in most, which will set you up for a good story when OCI comes around.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Coming from someone who did two SAs in Texas (and now works here), there is no reason you should give up on Texas if it's where you want to be. I went to NYU and all of my friends who wanted to summer in Texas 2L year received an offer from multiple offices here. While it is easier to get a 1L gig in Texas relative to other markets, it is still a very competitive process and a lot of those 1L slots go to minority students. Don't let striking out this year keep you from reapplying come fall. Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

ETA: A lot of firms, Jones Day included, pushed back their hiring timeline for 1Ls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”