Cold Mailing F500 General Counsel's Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pottedplants

New

Cold Mailing F500 General Counsel's Offices

Post by pottedplants » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey TLS,

I'm gearing up to cold-mail the GC offices of a few F500 companies I'm interested in.

Is there a protocol for this? Other than just sending a letter that says hi, I'm interested in your company - do you offer any legal summer gigs?

Does anyone have a sample letter for something like this?

Thanks!

Platinum

Re: Cold Mailing F500 General Counsel's Offices

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:54 pm

I think that's basically the best you can do, though it is a legitimate challenge because it can be tougher to find the right email address for in house summer things.

I would do it through an alum if there are any in house there. Going straight to the GC is likely to get overlooked in my opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

2014 wrote:I think that's basically the best you can do, though it is a legitimate challenge because it can be tougher to find the right email address for in house summer things.

I would do it through an alum if there are any in house there. Going straight to the GC is likely to get overlooked in my opinion.
I work as a junior in-house counsel at a large software company ('12 grad). I just want to chime in and second this idea. If I got a mail from a student at my alma mater I would definitely forward it on to the right person. Heck, I remember how hard my own job search was.

My GC, on the other hand, is incredibly busy and much less likely to respond.

You should check with your career services office (or maybe an office of alumni engagement?) about alumni at these companies first. I think you will get a much higher response rate from alums.

pottedplants

New

Post by pottedplants » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Awesome, great tip. Thanks guys.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Your best bet will be to find someone who works at the company- doesn't necessarily need to be in the law department. If you don't know anybody at all, see if the career services department knows of an alum. Even someone at a different company in the same practice area could help. A forward from an internal person is MUCH more valuable than a cold email to the GC.

thatgirlthere

New

Post by thatgirlthere » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

I interned in a GC's office, where they said that they never advertised for the position. Look on LinkedIn to see if there have been any legal interns that worked there. Also, HR might know. I didn't go through them for my position, but they did handle our paychecks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”