Post-grad Informational Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-grad Informational Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm a recent grad who is currently working, but considering making a move to another major market. I have a professor who has offered to reach out to some friends in that market, to have them speak to me about the move. She's started to make some e-mail introductions, and has so far contacted a few partners at some small/midsize firms.

Because these are much more experienced partners (one of them is a named partner), I feel like asking your typical "how did you get to where you are" questions may not be quite as appropriate as if I were asking them to a junior associate. That being said, anyone have advice on good things to ask during these informationals, and how to ask them in an appropriate way?

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: Post-grad Informational Interviews

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:16 am

Presumably, your professor is setting up your story. This person will know that you were their student, have a job, but are looking to relocate. Just go from there. What are your goals in speaking with these people? Are you still trying to figure out the market? Are you picky about what kind of law you want to practice or would you take anything to move? If you are just seeking background info -- ask questions about the market and the type of work done at the firm. Ask about other firms in the market. Ask what they look for in resumes for laterals. If you are hoping to convert to an interview with that firm, you can ask similar questions (minus the one about other firms), but set it up to make yourself seem like a good fit.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”