Possible to get NY Biglaw from a T1 Regional? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawhopeful10

Silver

Possible to get NY Biglaw from a T1 Regional?

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 pm

I am a 1L at UGA and it seems the general consensus is that for Atlanta Biglaw you need top 10% grades. I also have heard that Atlanta cares a lot about grades maybe even more so than other cities. I was wondering if someone gets top 10% and has ties to NY if a mass mail campaign to all the firms in New York would have a decent chance of success since although I want to be in Atlanta I want to ultimately give myself as many options as possible. Second semester 1L just started and all grades aren't even in so I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I was just curious and any replies would be appreciated.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Possible to get NY Biglaw from a T1 Regional?

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Depends on your definition of "decent". If top 10% + LR @ UGA you'll certainly have "some" shot, but its not gonna be overwhelming or something I would plan on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Possible? Yes. Family friend (this is why I am anonymous) did it out of Notre Dame this year. Likely? No.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:56 pm

okay thanks, that answers it and obviously I kinda hoped it would be more than "some shot" haha but that's how it goes I guess.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:55 am

Do you have any sort of database of where 2Ls and 3Ls worked during their summers? Look for NY people on it if so and solicit advice, law students love talking about their summers, especially the ones who went to firms.

http://law.uga.edu/placement-statistics says that you had 5 bar takers/passers in NY last year, I have to imagine a non-zero amount of them are working at market paying firms. So I would put your chances at very low but not negligible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 am

2014 wrote:Do you have any sort of database of where 2Ls and 3Ls worked during their summers? Look for NY people on it if so and solicit advice, law students love talking about their summers, especially the ones who went to firms.

http://law.uga.edu/placement-statistics says that you had 5 bar takers/passers in NY last year, I have to imagine a non-zero amount of them are working at market paying firms. So I would put your chances at very low but not negligible.
Awesome link, thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 pm

There's someone at my NYC biglaw firm that went to UGA - pretty sure he graduated #1 in his class, though. But we also have a bunch of T1 people who were top 5-10% when they got offers.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Are you diverse? LGBT? Work experience related to your practice area of interest?

The bottom line is that to get NYC from your position, you NEED to be in NYC this summer. I really think that shows you're serious about your "ties" (whatever those are). If there aren't at least a few lines on your résumé that actually say "New York, NY" - I think you're not in a good place. Coming here this summer would definitely help with one of those résumé lines.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

It's definitely possible but not easy. From what I can tell at my school (top 50) about 2 to 3 people a year get NYC big law. A lot of people don't even apply. I'd say top 10% + law review is necessary (not sufficient) to have a chance.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses, my ties are I grew up in New Jersey and have family in New York but nothing on my resume actually says New York and I'm not diverse. I ideally want Atlanta but figured since New York has most of the big law positions it would be good to apply there too. Also I still have another semester to go so I probably am jumping the gun a little but once again thanks for all the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”