Purchase list for Big Law SA summer (clothes and other)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Purchase list for Big Law SA summer (clothes and other)?

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:05 am

I know there is a thread on mens fashion, but I am thinking something a bit more barebones. Does anyone know of a guide or a thread on a list of things one should purchase before a SA summer with a big firm? How many suits + shirts + shoes and things like a leather bag etc?

And a decent idea of the best places to look for those. I am thinking of giving indochino a shot. I definitely want to look good and I don't have a ton of money, but I consider it an investment.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Purchase list for Big Law SA summer (clothes and other)?

Post by Lincoln » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:22 am

Associate at formal NYC BigLaw firm here. What you need depends on your firm and market. If biz formal, you should ideally have the following:

2 suits
4-5 shirts (stick to white, blue, and simple, conservative patterns)
4-5 ties
2 shoes (black+brown)
2 belts (matching the shoes)
No bag (they'll give you one for your laptop; I bought a leather bag and hardly ever use it)

You don't really need anything else to be an associate, either.

If your firm is biz cash, maybe you can get away with one suit, fewer ties, but more shirts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:40 am

Lincoln wrote:Associate at formal NYC BigLaw firm here. What you need depends on your firm and market. If biz formal, you should ideally have the following:

2 suits
4-5 shirts (stick to white, blue, and simple, conservative patterns)
4-5 ties
2 shoes (black+brown)
No bag (they'll give you one for your laptop; I bought a leather bag and hardly ever use it)

You don't really need anything else to be an associate, either.

If your firm is biz cash, maybe you can get away with one suit, fewer ties, but more shirts.
Business formal. Thanks for the tip!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 am

You gotta find out formal or casual.

For a biz casual firm:

1 suit - you already have this if you got the jerb
5 shirts - just not ugly, you probably have these
2 shoes (black+brown) I'd go loafers with one them
2 ties (in case you gotta suit up)
3 pants of varying colors. Charcoal, lightgray, navy, brown, etc. etc.

You can wear that shit in so many variations you'd never have to repeat.

I've noticed big law is a little less casual than generally corporate biz casual. Khakis and a polo is probably undressing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:You gotta find out formal or casual.

For a biz casual firm:

1 suit - you already have this if you got the jerb
5 shirts - just not ugly, you probably have these
2 shoes (black+brown) I'd go loafers with one them
2 ties (in case you gotta suit up)
3 pants of varying colors. Charcoal, lightgray, navy, brown, etc. etc.

You can wear that shit in so many variations you'd never have to repeat.

I've noticed big law is a little less casual than generally corporate biz casual. Khakis and a polo is probably undressing.
Formal. These guys have a "dress baller" work hard play hard type of thing going.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:12 pm

If you're destitute (like I was when I started my SA), you can get away with only having 1 suit and not buying the brown shoes/belt. It's far from ideal, and it might be a good idea to grab an extra suit a few weeks into the gig once the paycheck starts keeping things afloat, but it's doable and nobody will care. You could get away with only a couple of ties, too, but they're so cheap at goodwill and other thrift stores, that there's no reason not to have at least 5 or 6 of them.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're destitute (like I was when I started my SA), you can get away with only having 1 suit and not buying the brown shoes/belt. It's far from ideal, and it might be a good idea to grab an extra suit a few weeks into the gig once the paycheck starts keeping things afloat, but it's doable and nobody will care. You could get away with only a couple of ties, too, but they're so cheap at goodwill and other thrift stores, that there's no reason not to have at least 5 or 6 of them.
When u were a SA, was it mandatory that you had to wear suits everyday ? or would dress shirts, and dress pants be ok? and was the dress code the same pretty much the same for big and small law firms?

Mod: This isn't what Anon is for.

ipguy

New

Post by ipguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I would suggest having at least two suits, even at a casual firm, three if you can swing it. I know you think you're the shit, but a well tailored Jos A Bank (or similar) suit that you picked up buy one get 2 free is going to look a lot better than only having one suit. You *will* have an occasion where you have to wear suits twice in a row, likely in the first week. Going to feel silly when you spill marinara on it day one and end up cleaning it in your sink at night. Another smart call would be 2 suits and a blazer that goes with lots of things you can leave hanging on the back of your door for short notice client meetings or court runs.

At least 5 shirts. Plan to dry clean them regularly. These will show the wear more than the pants. Again, get some JAB Travelers at 70% off and call it a day. Worry about fancy spendy clothes when you have the money and time to build a wardrobe. You'll be wearing this stuff a lot, don't try to get by with fewer items of higher quality.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Don't buy anything at Jos A Bank or Mens Wearhouse unless you're looking for cheap fabric and old-man box cuts. You'll spend as much on the tailoring to make it look decent as you will on the suit itself.

I'd suggest J Crew Factory's Thompson suit, which is on sale for $266 right now. I have their double-vented "Charcoal" (closer to Sharkskin) and find the quality to be more than adequate for an entry-level suit, and the cut is leaps and bounds above JAB.

Another option: I haven't personally worn a suit from Combatant Gent, but it has gotten solid reviews and for $160, you can't beat the price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:50 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:Don't buy anything at Jos A Bank or Mens Wearhouse unless you're looking for cheap fabric and old-man box cuts. You'll spend as much on the tailoring to make it look decent as you will on the suit itself.

I'd suggest J Crew Factory's Thompson suit, which is on sale for $266 right now. I have their double-vented "Charcoal" (closer to Sharkskin) and find the quality to be more than adequate for an entry-level suit, and the cut is leaps and bounds above JAB.

Another option: I haven't personally worn a suit from Combatant Gent, but it has gotten solid reviews and for $160, you can't beat the price.
Thanks! Not sure why my last post was anon, but it is formal at this office. Suits 6 days a week.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:39 pm

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have advice on where to pick up a satchel/bag for full time? As an SA I used my backpack when I really needed it, and it looked so silly.

I figure I might be able to pick up a used leather satchel somewhere since new leather is ridiculously expensive.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:51 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:On a somewhat related note, does anyone have advice on where to pick up a satchel/bag for full time? As an SA I used my backpack when I really needed it, and it looked so silly.

I figure I might be able to pick up a used leather satchel somewhere since new leather is ridiculously expensive.
Seconded. The stuff from places like TUMI are wayyy to expensive.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 am

WhirledWorld wrote:On a somewhat related note, does anyone have advice on where to pick up a satchel/bag for full time? As an SA I used my backpack when I really needed it, and it looked so silly.

Just get a Targus nylon laptop carrier. That should be the most you need. No need to overthink.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:34 am

zweitbester wrote:

Just get a Targus nylon laptop carrier. That should be the most you need. No need to overthink.
Don't most firms give you one of these? Mine did. I think a leather satchel can be useful and look good, but it is by no means a necessity. Let someone buy it for you as a graduation present or something.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:55 am

eBay. Seriously.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:37 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:

eBay. Seriously.
Smart. I always forget Ebay exists.

dwyf

Bronze

Post by dwyf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

For a business formal place, do you really think you can get away with just two suits?

Even if you vary shirt/tie combinations - still seems like you'd be stretching it if you are in a suit five days a week.

I've got two, and I'm trying to decide how many more to buy. I'm headed to a formal place in NYC.

I worked for a judge last summer (business casual unless we had hearings) - there were weeks were two suits didn't feel like enough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

dwyf wrote:For a business formal place, do you really think you can get away with just two suits?

Even if you vary shirt/tie combinations - still seems like you'd be stretching it if you are in a suit five days a week.

I've got two, and I'm trying to decide how many more to buy. I'm headed to a formal place in NYC.

I worked for a judge last summer (business casual unless we had hearings) - there were weeks were two suits didn't feel like enough.
I'm correlating the number of suits based on odds of getting a full time offer haha.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm

dwyf wrote:For a business formal place, do you really think you can get away with just two suits?

I think you can get away with 2 and I'm sure people do every summer, but in your shoes I would definitely do 3. Instead of wearing each one at least twice sometimes three times a week, it would be once or twice which would help immensely with variety and dry cleaning.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm

2014 wrote:

I think you can get away with 2 and I'm sure people do every summer, but in your shoes I would definitely do 3. Instead of wearing each one at least twice sometimes three times a week, it would be once or twice which would help immensely with variety and dry cleaning.
I read that five times. I was like why would three pairs of shoes help with his dry cleaning...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
2014 wrote:

I read that five times. I was like why would three pairs of shoes help with his dry cleaning...
:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Unless you spill on yourself you shouldn't have to dry clean a suit during an SA.

Liam

New

Post by Liam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Unless you spill on yourself you shouldn't have to dry clean a suit during an SA.
Clearly you've only ever worked in a city with dry heat and cars for transportation. Walk a few blocks outside every day in NYC or DC during the summer and you'll probably want to dry clean your suits on a pretty regular basis.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Liam wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Unless you spill on yourself you shouldn't have to dry clean a suit during an SA.
Clearly you've only ever worked in a city with dry heat and cars for transportation. Walk a few blocks outside every day in NYC or DC during the summer and you'll probably want to dry clean your suits on a pretty regular basis.
I walked a mile in DC every day, and I'm fat. Wear a V-neck and antiperspirant.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Liam wrote:
I walked a mile in DC every day, and I'm fat. Wear a V-neck and antiperspirant.
WELL NOT ALL OF US SWEAT FLOWERS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”