Graduated jobless and landed a 6 figure salary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Graduated jobless and landed a 6 figure salary

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey all,

I just wanted to post something positive on this site since it seems like there is a lot of doom and gloom out there.

I went to one of the mid-tier schools in Texas. I performed mediocre in the first year and was not qualified for any of the biglaw OCI interviews. I interned at a couple of government positions over the summer. I graduated in the top 25%, was on law review, a moot court team, and won some big deal award my school gives to one graduate. I did not have a job lined up when I graduated. I had been mass mailing and doing all the job hunting tactics career development says to do my entire third year in school and I got a nothing bu reject letters.

After gradation, I worked as a law clerk at a plaintiffs firm, making crap money and having no health insurance. I stayed in touch with my professors, and one of them recommended me for a position at well respected boutique firm. They interviewed me, did a call back, and finally offered me a job with a 6 figure salary with lots of bells and whistles.

Graduating without a job sucks. You see some of your peers being able to make plans that you cant. The stress of paying back your student loans keeps you up at night. But, I got a damn good job. I have no family in Texas and I know no one in any other the biglaw firms, aside from the individuals I graduated with. But, I knew my professors, worked hard for them, and kept in touch after graduating. Professors can be a great resource and I feel as if they are easily overlooked.

I wanted TSL readers to know that it is possible to get a great high paying job after graduation without a clerkship. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the 3L job hunt.

Best of luck!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Graduated jobless and landed a 6 figure salary

Post by Citizen Genet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm interested in Texas boutiques. Mind PMing me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:02 pm

grats man, glad it worked out! and I second the notion about making connections with professors. I have been applying to many DA positions, but spoke with one of my adjunct professors who is a partner at a criminal defense firm about a position if none of those work out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:05 am

This happened to me as well, except I got a Biglaw job without SA'ing there. I'm relatively sure it's more a Texas phenomenon though, as the Texas firms seem to have a lot of work.

SoCrazyRightNow

New

Post by SoCrazyRightNow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:21 am

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 pm

I know someone from UVa who graduated jobless but is now working at Sidley Austin NY. It'd not easy, but doable!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Congratulations! This gives me hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 pm

2nd year attorney here. In-house counsel for a sports agency. Good money great benefits

I graduated jobless as well from a T25. Networking got me connections that led me to an opportunity at my current job. Have faith everyone it sucks coming out at first but if you keep putting the effort in something will materialize.

synergy

New

Post by synergy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2nd year attorney here. In-house counsel for a sports agency. Good money great benefits

I graduated jobless as well from a T25. Networking got me connections that led me to an opportunity at my current job. Have faith everyone it sucks coming out at first but if you keep putting the effort in something will materialize.
Do law school grads generally get jobs like these or did they make an exception for you due to networking? Congrats btw, sounds awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:29 pm

The agency has a small legal department that was looking to bring on a junior-level attorney. The agency also does more than just client representation. It's also an ad agency and has an event activation division as well. I had previous niche expertise pertaining to the ad agency and event activation aspects that made me a strong candidate for the position.

Networking alerted me to the opportunity but did not secure the job in my case.

dj_roomba

New

Post by dj_roomba » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 am

synergy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2nd year attorney here. In-house counsel for a sports agency. Good money great benefits

Do law school grads generally get jobs like these or did they make an exception for you due to networking? Congrats btw, sounds awesome.
sounds like a texas thing.

Anyway congrats OP

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:37 pm

I struck out at OCI from a T2, and was literally on the cusp of graduating jobless but found something last minute -- high five figures that got bumped to six figures after a few months. I'm now starting my third year and my total comp has jumped a lot -- still below a biglaw first year but catching up, and I don't work as much.

However, it should be noted that I had biglaw grades, so my story is not totally representative.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”