1L SA -- IP (in Texas and generally) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA -- IP (in Texas and generally)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 am

Anyone that applied with IP credentials, how do you know which firms that take 1L SAs would want someone with IP credentials? If they are looking for the IP creds I feel like I should point them out in applying, but if I assume it would be dumb to point out patent bar eligibility and they don't actively recruit for IP.

For example, chambers lists a bunch of Texas firms with IP practices in Bands 1-4... would all of these potentially care that you have IP credentials? Or only maybe the Band 1 firms?
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/1323 ... torial/5/1

Appreciate any advice on how to address this, particularly anyone that may have experience with IP and/or Texas

Anonymous Associate

Bronze

Re: 1L SA -- IP (in Texas and generally)

Post by Anonymous Associate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 am

By IP credentials, you mean a technical background?

Where are you in school?

FYI-I got a 1L SA in patent lit at a V100 with middle of the road grades from a T10, with a tech bkgd. Several classmates were similar. And that was in 2010.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:06 am

Anonymous Associate wrote:By IP credentials, you mean a technical background?

Where are you in school?

FYI-I got a 1L SA in patent lit at a V100 with middle of the road grades from a T10, with a tech bkgd. Several classmates were similar. And that was in 2010.
yes, tech backgrounds, upper T14 non-hys. Patent lit would be great, but I have trouble telling which firms I should pitch it to... Seems like if you were to pitch Patent Lit to the wrong firm (a firm that doesn't do too much of it?) your app would go straight in the trash right?

Anonymous Associate

Bronze

Post by Anonymous Associate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous Associate wrote:By IP credentials, you mean a technical background?

Where are you in school?

yes, tech backgrounds, upper T14 non-hys. Patent lit would be great, but I have trouble telling which firms I should pitch it to... Seems like if you were to pitch Patent Lit to the wrong firm (a firm that doesn't do too much of it?) your app would go straight in the trash right?
You need to look through the bios of the attorneys, and see how many actually focus their practice on patent lit. Nearly every firm will say they do patent lit, but that doesn't mean much if they don't have attorneys focusing on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”