Reference/LoRs for 1L Jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reference/LoRs for 1L Jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 pm

I see some job postings are asking for 2 references. I would obviously use my previous employer before LS for one of them, but I assume they would want a reference from LS too...

Who does everyone use for Letters of Rec. and references for applying to jobs in early December? None of your professors has seen anything you have done at all, except answer their cold calls..... Would a 3L LRW instructor be appropriate?

ilovesf

Diamond

Re: Reference/LoRs for 1L Jobs

Post by ilovesf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I see some job postings are asking for 2 references. I would obviously use my previous employer before LS for one of them, but I assume they would want a reference from LS too...

Who does everyone use for Letters of Rec. and references for applying to jobs in early December? None of your professors has seen anything you have done at all, except answer their cold calls..... Would a 3L LRW instructor be appropriate?
A 3L is probably not a good call. Did you have an adjunct or anything teach LWR besides the 3L? I used my LWR prof. and 2 pre-LS references.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I see some job postings are asking for 2 references. I would obviously use my previous employer before LS for one of them, but I assume they would want a reference from LS too...

A 3L is probably not a good call. Did you have an adjunct or anything teach LWR besides the 3L? I used my LWR prof. and 2 pre-LS references.
Yeah, I don't think I would list a 3L, either. If all else, you can list your 1L professors (as long as you ask them first and get their permission). I don't think anyone expects that your professors are going to know you that well by December of 1L year. And, I agree, you can list pre-law school recommenders. Keep in mind that many job postings will never contact your references, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I had profs who were references before they ever gave me a grade in LS. Some of them will also be a reference even if your grade in their class isn't great. Just ask, as long as you know them a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks all

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”