Smaller firm pay in the Twin Cities market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Smaller firm pay in the Twin Cities market?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Does anyone have some anecdotal evidence on how much the smaller firms in the Twin Cities market pays?

I know the top firms will pay $110,000 to first year associates, but I cannot seem to confirm salaries for the firms that have around 20-50 attorneys.

Lwoods

Silver

Re: Smaller firm pay in the Twin Cities market?

Post by Lwoods » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 am

I think, particularly for smaller firms, the Robert Half Legal Salary Guide (LinkRemoved) is a good resource. I know it's what my summer firm used to set associate salaries, and it's something that you could use in negotiations if you're given a low offer.

The guide breaks it down based on experience level and law firm size and then provides multipliers for different cities.

A small/midsize firm is 10-35 attorneys, and a midsize firm is 35-75 attorneys.
Minneapolis and St. Paul actually have different multipliers. Minneapolis is 105.5% and St. Paul is 102%.

To give you a rough idea of the ranges, I'll multiply the lower end of the range by the St. Paul multiplier and the higher by the Minneapolis multiplier.
So, for a First Year associate in the twin cities, the salaries (rounded to the nearest dollar) should be:

small/midsize firm: $62,220 to $90,994 ((102% x $61k) to (105.5% x $86,250))
midsize firm: $79,815 to $112,621 ((102% x $78,250) to (105.5% x $106,750))

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Anywhere from 30k to market pay for the big firms. It really depends on the firm and what kind of work you'll be doing there.

If you're just going to file default judgments for some mill, you're at the low end. On the other hand, I know of a midsize firm (17 attorneys, which is midsize for MN) that pays 90k to first years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:44 pm

minnbills wrote:Anywhere from 30k to market pay for the big firms. It really depends on the firm and what kind of work you'll be doing there.

If you're just going to file default judgments for some mill, you're at the low end. On the other hand, I know of a midsize firm (17 attorneys, which is midsize for MN) that pays 90k to first years.
Got it, thanks.

There are some mid-size firms (20-30 attorneys) that do a lot of defense work. When the firm does more defense work, is it okay to assume that pay will be on the higher end of the scale?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
minnbills wrote:Anywhere from 30k to market pay for the big firms. It really depends on the firm and what kind of work you'll be doing there.

Got it, thanks.

There are some mid-size firms (20-30 attorneys) that do a lot of defense work. When the firm does more defense work, is it okay to assume that pay will be on the higher end of the scale?
NP, I think that's a safe bet too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Bump. Interviewing with a small (5-10) attorney firm soon, and I'd like to have a better idea of how to answer questions re: expected/required salaries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:00 pm

I think I remember getting information from my law school (in the area) that market base for smaller firms in the Twin Cities is around 60-65k. I would imagine it depends heavily on the type of practice though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”