Do firms ever hire people they've dinged in the past? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms ever hire people they've dinged in the past?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Or are you sort of blacklisted there for the next several years?

Only a handful of firm around here practice in my very specific subject matter (patents). I have been post-CB dinged at a number of them during 2L and 3L OCI. They were large boutiques.

I am happy at my firm, but if I wanted to lateral in the same market in a couple of years, would the firms that previously rejected me remain off limit? That would significantly restrict my options.

[Anecdotally, I've interviewed with this one firm (from another market) two years in a row at the same job fair. They dinged me the previous year after the screener. It was the same pair of interviewers the second time around and they recognized me against my hopes ("hey, you look familiar, weren't you here last year?")... and dinged me again].

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Do firms ever hire people they've dinged in the past?

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I interviewed with this awful midlaw insurance defense firm that assured me over and over during my screening interview that if I don't get picked, try, try again. Apparently they had just hired an associate who had applied and interviewed with them no less than three times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:50 am

I have been rejected at many firms during OCI that were way outside of my grade range, and those same firms gave me lateral offers. What matters is your experience and how transferable it is to the position you're applying for. That's been my experience, at least.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:35 am

Currently working at a firm that rejected me twice before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

Did any of these hirings occur after a post-CB rejection?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Dinged post CB after 2L OCI, received offer during 3L OCI from same firm. I did have an offer from my 2L summer firm, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 am

Yup. Currently at firm that rejected me for 1l diversity and regular 1l program. Then rejected 2l. Then rejected 3l oci and for specific practice group position I had callback for. Then while practicing elsewhere in my first year rejected by same firm after callback for another specific practice position....then got a job in a third practice group...six rejections I count

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”