Summer + Year Employment Locked at DAs; Still look for work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer + Year Employment Locked at DAs; Still look for work?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:16 pm

I've locked down (well, subject to the upcoming background interview) a summer position at a large DAs office that becomes part-time during the school year and a chance that it might become a full-time offer upon graduation.

I eventually want to get into private practice (medium/big-law). Going into this, I heard that the litigation experience (guaranteed 3-4 jury trials) is going to be solid for my resume. While researching options for lateraling, etc. it seems that firms typically don't want young associates that have litigation experience because that won't be in play much where legal research and writing is held in higher regard––is this true?

On a similar note, it seems that positions are always being posted on Symplicity (lol) and mass-mailing is always an option for that off chance. Accordingly, should I still be hustling and mass mailing to see what else I can land?

Of course, I am aware that it is improper to renege on an accepted offer...

Anonymous User

Re: Summer + Year Employment Locked at DAs; Still look for work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 pm

OP here. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm currently working part-time at a major east coast DA office. I'm not looking to interview for the gig, but a lot of the other interns are. With around 40 interns at any given time, many of whom spent their 2L summer at the office as well, your situation is far from a lock. Most of them won't get jobs here. I met a number of the newly hired class as well since they've been dropping into court--a fair number never interned here at all. All of this is to say that you would be foolish to not apply elsewhere. Your time there will certainly give you a leg up on outside applicants, help you get to know people, etc etc, but a full-time offer is FAR from guaranteed. Also, if your office is anything like the one I'm in, it only takes a few weeks for it to become apparent which interns will have a shot at an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've locked down (well, subject to the upcoming background interview) a summer position at a large DAs office that becomes part-time during the school year and a chance that it might become a full-time offer upon graduation.

I eventually want to get into private practice (medium/big-law). Going into this, I heard that the litigation experience (guaranteed 3-4 jury trials) is going to be solid for my resume. While researching options for lateraling, etc. it seems that firms typically don't want young associates that have litigation experience because that won't be in play much where legal research and writing is held in higher regard––is this true?

On a similar note, it seems that positions are always being posted on Symplicity (lol) and mass-mailing is always an option for that off chance. Accordingly, should I still be hustling and mass mailing to see what else I can land?

Of course, I am aware that it is improper to renege on an accepted offer...

Don't count your eggs before they're hatched, but don't let them hold you back either. If there's only a chance that its a full-time position post-grad, you should be working like there's no chance at all. Worst case scenario, you count on this full-time position, it doesn't materialize, and now you're scrambling with everyone else. Best case scenario, you apply, you get a job everywhere else and you tell the DA's office and give them a chance to promise a full-time employment or you take the other job.

I would imagine that litigation experience won't necessarily be frowned upon; it'd just be the case that they'd want you to have solid research and writing experience. If you're able to do both (litigate and research/write) effectively, what does it matter? The problem is when you focus so much on litigation that your research/writing skills are turd.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”