Least miserable legal career? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Least miserable legal career?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Just wondering what people view as the most exciting/least torturous legal career. Thanks!

puppylaw

New

Re: Least miserable legal career?

Post by puppylaw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Federal judge.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm

puppylaw wrote:Federal judge.
Probably this due to lifetime tenure and almost 0% chance of impeachment. You may get better answers if you elaborate, anonymous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:02 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Probably this due to lifetime tenure and almost 0% chance of impeachment. You may get better answers if you elaborate, anonymous.
Plus your clerks do all of the work.

ETA: Crap. Didn't mean to anon this.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Came here to say this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Tenured law prof. at an elite school.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm

If you have to ask this question, maybe you don't want to be a lawyer.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm

hibiki wrote:Tenured law prof. at an elite school.
this is pretty common as an answer but I don't know. it's the best paid per hour worked, but I wouldn't want to lecture at law students multiple hours a week, deal with them ignoring lectures or gunning, or writing/grading exams. Probably the easiest money but idk about most exciting or pleasant.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 pm

hibiki wrote:Tenured law prof. at a school next to an elitecoastal big city with nice weather.
FTFY. Apparently a school like Cordozo is more desired by top law professor candidates and professors looking to lateral than Michigan or Cornell; working at UCLA can trump working Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering what people view as the most exciting/least torturous legal career. Thanks!
Regulatory work at some of the federal agencies seems exciting especially when new legislation is passed (Jobs Act, Dodd Frank, etc) . Plus the pay isn't bad and neither are the hours.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liam

New

Post by Liam » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Tanicius wrote:
hibiki wrote:Tenured law prof. at a school next to an elitecoastal big city with nice weather.
FTFY. Apparently a school like Cordozo is more desired by top law professor candidates and professors looking to lateral than Michigan or Cornell; working at UCLA can trump working Yale.
I struggle to believe this is true as a general matter; while idiosyncrasies can certainly lead individual academics to make the sorts of choices proposed, I can't imagine that the average person serious enough to enter legal academia and become a "top law professor candidate" is going to take the lesser professional prospects of Cardozo just for the better living standards of New York (especially when a professor can spend the majority of their year in virtually any city in the country).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

a career that has law in the rearview mirror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqzQKt9UeA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Nah. I thoroughly enjoy practicing law, especially if I'd get to do it on my terms. The only profession I would enjoy more is writing, but I don't have the balls to try making it big as a writer -- too much of a chance I'd just starve.

My ideal practice would be having a handful of high-profile criminal defense clients any given year, with the rest of my time used to volunteer for a local public defender office doing trials.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 am

Tanicius wrote:Nah. I thoroughly enjoy practicing law, especially if I'd get to do it on my terms. The only profession I would enjoy more is writing, but I don't have the balls to try making it big as a writer -- too much of a chance I'd just starve.

My ideal practice would be having a handful of high-profile criminal defense clients any given year, with the rest of my time used to volunteer for a local public defender office doing trials.
I would try to talk to criminal defense lawyers in your local are. There are simply not that many high-profile criminal clients most places, so you may want to get a more realistic picture of what criminal defense practice is like.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 am

He didn't say he thought that was realistic, just that it would be ideal.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:42 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:He didn't say he thought that was realistic, just that it would be ideal.
True, but I think getting a feel for what criminal defense attorneys may refocus OP's interests as far as what OP would like to start doing. For example, depending on the reasons why OP is interested in more high profile work, would make OP interested in white collar defense or another area of law entirely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:38 am

Tanicius wrote:
This must be why all the best "top law professor candidates" go to Cardozo, rather than Michigan, Cornell, and Yale.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 am

ImNoScar wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:He didn't say he thought that was realistic, just that it would be ideal.
True, but I think getting a feel for what criminal defense attorneys may refocus OP's interests as far as what OP would like to start doing. For example, depending on the reasons why OP is interested in more high profile work, would make OP interested in white collar defense or another area of law entirely.
You know he's already in law school (not sure if 2L or 3L) aiming for the PD, right? I think he knows what he's getting into.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:03 pm

If you mean you have a low level of stress and work, then you're wrong. All judges, state and federal, have a hard job and it's tough work. If you want to be good at your job, then it can be stressful and takes a lot of work.

My vote would be for an attorney in a smaller regulatory agency that doesn't have a lot of outside deadlines (as opposed to self-imposed ones). For example, I'd say NRC, EPA, or FAA.

Just based on my experience and what I've gotten from talking with other lawyers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Sheindlin

I want her job.
Probably the only ADR attorney who isn't miserable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Sheindlin

I want her job.
Probably the only ADR attorney who isn't miserable.
40 million in stacks every year, baby. Go New York Law School.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
It's not the high-profile nature of it that I want. It's the fact that they would pay out the ass for relatively little representation and services rendered. A DUI case for Lindsay Lohan doesn't cost the same as it does for a parent household defending their 20-year-old. I'd want that kind of work not because it's cool representing rich douchebags, but because the income from it would allow me to do what I believe in without having to worry about money. It would be effectively akin to how artists in the Renaissance got sponsored by their patrons to do cool stuff that wouldn't have actually paid a dime otherwise. I'd get to do public defense work on a private attorney's salary and without the crushing caseload that risks making me ineffective.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:02 pm

State appellate court judge.

The work is always interesting (or at least would be to me), 99% of criminal cases (a huge part of the docket) are easy, no awful trial work, rarely interact with pro se parties, and the list just goes on and on.

I say state as opposed to federal because generally they don't have to deal with the huge politicized, polarizing culture war cases.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”