Mid-size law firms and hiring Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mid-size law firms and hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi all,

So, can someone give some insight on how mid-size firms hire? I understand that they hire more so on need, than the more predictable big law firms.

A 3L I know said she got her law clerk position with a great mid-size firm because she knew some of the partners at the firm, and they reached out to her to apply before the firm ever even posted the open position.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Mid-size law firms and hiring

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Midsize firms hire however they want to. That's not being flippant, it just varies wildly. Some firms hire only by word of mouth when they have a need, some hire partner's kids friends, it's just all over the map. Which kind of sucks, because it basically means being in the right place at the right time.

If there's a particular firm you want, best way is to see if you can work there over the school year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Midsize firms hire however they want to. That's not being flippant, it just varies wildly. Some firms hire only by word of mouth when they have a need, some hire partner's kids friends, it's just all over the map. Which kind of sucks, because it basically means being in the right place at the right time.

If there's a particular firm you want, best way is to see if you can work there over the school year.
It's the wild variance that completely frustrates me.

My career counselor portrays it as "Oh, you should just wait for them to post openings, it's coming soon."

She said that a few weeks back, and there's been nothing.

OCI for big-law at my school is done. Something like 85% of my 2L class has not locked up 2L employment yet.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OCI for big-law at my school is done. Something like 85% of my 2L class has not locked up 2L employment yet.
If you don't go to a T13(18) skool, yeah this is normal bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Sigh.

I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever get something with a mid-size firm.

I see from these firm's websites that they do hire out of law school, but I just don't have any idea on how to best get my foot in the door.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sigh.

I see from these firm's websites that they do hire out of law school, but I just don't have any idea on how to best get my foot in the door.
You can always email the hiring partner or whatever. I got a few interviews this way when I was a 2L.

Otherwise, the way to get your foot in the door is to set up a meeting with
(1) a parter who went to your school and is active in alumni activities
(2) partner who went to your school
(3) older associate who went to your school
(4) a rando

Even if the firm isn't hiring, ask if there are other firms that the attorney would recommend and go from there. Yes, it's a pain and is time consuming, but it'll yield results eventually.

DO NOT wait for them to post openings unless you are 100% sure the firm will interview on campus. Even then, it looks good if you've talked to someone before you apply -- you can throw that in your CL and it can help your app.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Omerta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sigh.

You can always email the hiring partner or whatever. I got a few interviews this way when I was a 2L.

Otherwise, the way to get your foot in the door is to set up a meeting with
(1) a parter who went to your school and is active in alumni activities
(2) partner who went to your school
(3) older associate who went to your school
(4) a rando

Even if the firm isn't hiring, ask if there are other firms that the attorney would recommend and go from there. Yes, it's a pain and is time consuming, but it'll yield results eventually.

DO NOT wait for them to post openings unless you are 100% sure the firm will interview on campus. Even then, it looks good if you've talked to someone before you apply -- you can throw that in your CL and it can help your app.
OP here.

That's my mentality as well.

I want to get to know the partner/associate at the firm before they even post an opening. Mainly, I can either just email my app directly to that attorney, or name-drop it in my CL.

In addition, my dad used to say the trick to a successful job hunt is to have a connection to the place BEFORE they realize they even need to hire. So then when they do make the hiring decision, they'll reach out to you about the position, before they make it public. That way I'm probably competing against a lot less people, than when I'm applying to something via Symplicity, where I'm sure the rest of my 2L class will apply to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Op again.

Do any older students have some advice on how to best approach landing a mid-size firm SA/Law Clerk position?

I just don't want to be wasting my time doing something that will not turn out results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”