Rant/Complaining from Distraught 2L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rant/Complaining from Distraught 2L

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

As the days go on, I feel that my chances of legal employment plummet.

I started off well. I got a 1L SA with one of the top firms in my market. I was riding sky-high. Everyone was congratulating me, and I felt legitimately happy--a feeling I haven't felt in a long time.

I started off my 1L summer very strong. I got rave reviews left and right, the partners loved me, and the associates really trusted my work.

Then, the wheels feel off. I rushed a few projects later in the summer. And the partners in that practice group tore apart my work, and doubted my potential.

I then went on to the last practice group, and again received rave reviews from everyone. And yet, I did not receive a return offer due to those rushed projects.

I was naive in thinking I could get a return offer despite those rushed projects. I did not bid very well at OCI, and received only a few screeners and no CBs. And now, I am struggling every day just to get one interview. I have been mass-mailing and going to networking events. And yet, all of the firms I have been mass-mailing have either already filled their positions, don't want to talk to me, or my favorite, "we are not currently seeking candidates."

I know full-well that I was an idiot that failed in literally every respect on my 2L job search. And now, when some of my classmates are accepting offers and looking for places to live next summer, I'm here, in a complete rut, with no prospect.

I am feeling constant anxiety/depression that I cannot secure even one interview. I am so desperate for a second chance.

end/rant.

Thank you for reading.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Rant/Complaining from Distraught 2L

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:26 pm

This sucks but there is still time left. More information will help people give you useful advice.

What school and approximate class rank? What market(s) are you looking?

There are people on here who have gotten big law in October, November, and even December. So it's not over yet but i feel your pain and frustration.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:32 pm

You know, I am sympathetic to your plight too, and I understand that you are feeling desperate, but you keep starting threads on the same topic and I am getting annoyed. Stop admiring your problem and focus your energies on how to get your career back on track. Talk to alumni. Talk to people from your old firm who thought you did good work. Talk to OCS. Look outside law. Look outside firms. Stop making new threads on the same topic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Bro, I'm in the same situation in finding jobs. But I guess I'm different since I never had a 1L SA. No luck mass mailing and nothing works. Sigh, but we need to keep up the energy. Take a day off.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:34 pm

listen to some Jock Jams, bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

IAFG wrote:You know, I am sympathetic to your plight too, and I understand that you are feeling desperate, but you keep starting threads on the same topic and I am getting annoyed. Stop admiring your problem and focus your energies on how to get your career back on track. Talk to alumni. Talk to people from your old firm who thought you did good work. Talk to OCS. Look outside law. Look outside firms. Stop making new threads on the same topic.
My apologies.

Though, talking to posters on here definitely calms my nerves, especially when it comes from people who have been through all this, and have had success.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:You know, I am sympathetic to your plight too, and I understand that you are feeling desperate, but you keep starting threads on the same topic and I am getting annoyed. Stop admiring your problem and focus your energies on how to get your career back on track. Talk to alumni. Talk to people from your old firm who thought you did good work. Talk to OCS. Look outside law. Look outside firms. Stop making new threads on the same topic.
My apologies.

Though, talking to posters on here definitely calms my nerves, especially when it comes from people who have been through all this, and have had success.
I understand. But you keep talking about what has happened and what your odds are for success. Don't you see that's a circle-jerk-y conversation? Go read the Vale thread. Go thread the massmailing threads. Start a thread about looking outside of massmailing. Talk to anyone in your market who will give you the time of day. This particular conversation that you keep wanting to have actually isn't helping you.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Use this as a lesson. You rushed projects and now you are paying the price. If you get another chance to practice, take pride in your work and don't rush it. Other than that, I don't know what you want us to tell you. You had your shot--you got called up to the big leagues. Then you grounded into a double play with the game on the line. That's life and it happens to a lot of people. When you get your shot, you have to perform. So the best you can do is get on the back of the line, wait for your opening and don't screw up again.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:56 pm

With the greatest of sympathies for what you're dealing with, I think IAFG is right. Re-telling what happened to you over and over again can be helpful in processing it, I suppose, but it isn't going to change the outcome, and no one is going to pop up with a magic solution. I'm not at all telling you not to talk about this experience here, but the same conversation has been happening in other threads.

FWIW, I went to a school where very few people get biglaw and the vast majority of students do not get jobs through OCI. People got 2L summer jobs all through 2L year. Those jobs may not guarantee a job after graduation, but they're stepping stones to that job after graduation. And basically everyone I graduated with is employed. I'm not sure whether everyone's in the job that they went to law school to get, but they're lawyers. You might not get the brass ring, but that doesn't mean you'll end up in the gutter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:14 pm

You've gotta move on. I don't agree with everything this phrase entails, but sometimes the line "pick yourself up by the boot straps" has a ring of truth to it. If you've been making the same or similar threads over and over again, then you're just focusing on what was and what could have been.

I have friends both in law and outside of it that have had unfair or terrible things happen to them. The successful ones are the ones that can move past and not look back. The unfortunate ones continue to wallow and meditate on the past. Be the prior. Don't be an Amanda Wingfield.

Don't be down. You're just a 2L and you still have plenty of potential. I didn't work for a law firm my 2L summer, and it wasn't the end of the world. Be open to working outside of law firms and for other places that you think would interest you and could help you find a job down the road. Start thinking practical and not emotional. Look for things you can do to help you get a job now. You have time, but it's slowly running out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”