Question regarding Army JAG Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question regarding Army JAG

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 pm

I had a question re army jag and health. If you get accepted into Army JAG and start your service, can you be effectively kicked out because you get injured? Say i tear my ACL while training. Can the Army just kick me out? Will i not be able to renew my commitment after my 4 years are up? Or what if, e.g., develop some sort of bad skin disease after i start my service?

I just wanted to know. Thanks. It is very appreciated.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:19 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

graphia

New

Re: Question regarding Army JAG

Post by graphia » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 am

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means, just answering the question to the best of my knowledge. My knowledge is also from the Air Force side of the house, so there might be some differences in how the Army handles things.

The process for getting med-boarded (kicked out once you're in) is way too complicated for someone to really give you an adequate answer in this context. I know this doesn't fully answer your question, but the short answer is "maybe". If you tear your ACL or something like that, odds are the military is going to pay to fix you if you're already in. You'll be undeployable for how ever long it takes to fix you, and then it'll most likely be back to business as usual. If it's something more permanent (getting paralyzed from the waist down, serious traumatic brain injury, etc.) it is a very real possibility you're going to get kicked out. To my knowledge, there isn't any real hard and fast guidance such as "if X, then Y"; they treat each person on a case by case basis. I've heard of people staying in after VERY serious injuries resulting from an IED blast (look up TSgt Israel Del Toro if you're curious). I've also seen people get the boot for Sleep Apnea.

The good news is that if you were to get kicked out for medical issues, odds are you're going to get rated with a VA disability. This means you'll be drawing a paycheck for as long as you are rated for this disability, even after you're out. The size of the paycheck, however, will depend on the severity of the disability and your number of dependents.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”