1L Summer Job Search Timeline? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job Search Timeline?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 am

Hey all, I've tried to look for a general timeline but couldn't find one that answered my questions. I know applications for various jobs can start going out on December 1, but I was hoping to take a trip right after Christmas and up until the start of second semester. Is this totally out of the question if I want to bag a 1L summer job? Specifically, when are interviews/offers for judicial externships? And - while I know they're quite difficult to get - when do 1L SA employers typically interview?

Thanks for the help!

bk1

Diamond

Re: 1L Summer Job Search Timeline?

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

You'll be fine. 1L employers interview starting in December through May/June depending on the employer. I would say most people end up getting something around March/April. Also, judicial externships aren't that competitive (and they really aren't any more desirable than any other unpaid 1L summer job).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:46 pm

If you are a URM and are going for diversity stuff, I think late Dec./early Jan. was when I applied.

Got interviews late Jan., and received an offer early Feb.

Though I did receive a call in late March from a big law firm for an interview. My guess was whoever they originally offered the position changed his/her mind.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Firms in secondary markets interview over winter break, but if you aren't trying for those you should be fine. There will be a couple of judges that will probably interview and hire over that period too, but as long as your heart isn't set on one individual judge you will be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I applied December 1 and then again right after exams in the middle of December. I had three weeks of interviews for judicial internships and accepted my offer mid-January, the day before my fall grades came out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Do many secondary markets have 1L Summer options for non-diversity law students?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do many secondary markets have 1L Summer options for non-diversity law students?
There are probably 1L SAs in every market, but they are rare. They are most common in the South/TX. There are probably a decent number in NYC due to sheer volume.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:47 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do many secondary markets have 1L Summer options for non-diversity law students?
In addition to Texas and the south as Bk mentioned, midwestern secondaries tend to hire 2-3 1Ls per firm as well which in relation to their total class size is often a pretty good chunk. They are tough though because if there are 3 slots one often goes to someone from the local TTT, one to the state flagship, and then maybe one to the T14 so no matter which of those three pools you fall into, the competition is stiff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”