Covington DC or Sidley DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Covington DC or Sidley DC?

Covington DC
78%
Sidley DC
22%

Total votes: 32

Anonymous User

Covington DC or Sidley DC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm interested in lit generally - want to try regulatory, commercial lit, antitrust as a summer. I also want to keep options open in terms of going to academia or government, and I'm planning to clerk after law school. I liked the people at Sidley and Cov - I got the impression that Cov folks might be marginally smarter, but it may just be that they are more intellectual in their presentation.

I'm worried about some of the negative stuff written about Covington DC's summer program and I'm worried about Sidley cutting their expected summer class by half. I would appreciate any insight on either firm. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Covington DC or Sidley DC

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I'd love to hear what negative stuff you're referring to regarding Covington's summer program. Your interests are right in Covington's wheelhouse, and unlike with Sidley, you'd be at the mothership. Doesn't seem like a tough decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 am

People really will take things said in the TLS echo chamber and run with it. I know several people who've done the Covington summer program and haven't heard anything negative

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd love to hear what negative stuff you're referring to regarding Covington's summer program. Your interests are right in Covington's wheelhouse, and unlike with Sidley, you'd be at the mothership. Doesn't seem like a tough decision.
Sidley's managing partner is in the D.C. Office. While many people still consider Sidley a Chicago firm, the people I know within the firm say it doesn't feel that way (and hasn't for years).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am

For what it's worth, I was a Covington summer and I loved it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in lit generally - want to try regulatory, commercial lit, antitrust as a summer. I also want to keep options open in terms of going to academia or government, and I'm planning to clerk after law school. I liked the people at Sidley and Cov - I got the impression that Cov folks might be marginally smarter, but it may just be that they are more intellectual in their presentation.

I'm worried about some of the negative stuff written about Covington DC's summer program and I'm worried about Sidley cutting their expected summer class by half. I would appreciate any insight on either firm. Thanks.
Can you elaborate on this Sidley cutting statement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm

This is what a past Covington summer associate wrote in another forum...
--
I summered at Cov this past summer. Very smart, school-, and grade-conscious folks. Very good for pro-bono. Cordial but reserved, stuffy. I really liked only 3 partners (whom I will keep in touch with) out of dozens I met.

Mentoring is poor. My partner mentor was away the whole time, while my associate mentor was usually on vacation. They do hire the highest-GPA students and their expectation clearly was "no hand-holding, mentoring, or chatting."

Instructions were not very clear and feedback was weak per summer project, but a lot of feedback was secretly given to the summer chairs; I learned this at my exit interview. A lot of judgement "tests" were set up for SAs just to test us. At least one SA I know received a no offer because of this. On at least two assignments, I was told, "We don't need this work. It is just to evaluate you."

I did meet 2 unhappy 1st year associates and 1 5th year who are interviewing elsewhere. There appeared to be a culture of fear, and associates were not treated as grownups. I can't do my best work that way for 8 years. This may be my own feelings and not true--maybe all biglaw is like this. Just what I and one other SA I am close to felt. I interviewed with other firms at OCI again as a 3L and will be going elsewhere in DC.

I interviewed with Hogan and LOVED them. They were kidding each other at the screener and at the callbacks too. In London, they are called "lovely Lovells."

Interestingly, folks had told me that the people at a firm really matter and I never believed it! But it does. Putting my Cov experience aside, this was a valuable general lesson that I learnt. It is really true. OP: Select on basis of the people. It is VERY important to your own success.
--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Sidley has a better culture. Covington has a reputation for associates acting "I'm smarter than you."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”