Texas Big Law w/ no ties--this just happened! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Texas Big Law w/ no ties--this just happened!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Almost didn't bid Texas due to advice on this forum. No ties at all. Not even close. I bid a handful of TX firms with a few of my last spots at OCI just for shits. Guess what? Got an interview, a callback and an offer from one of the TX big three (or whatevs). Guess whose headed to Texas? This guy! Sure, sure, this may be a one-off, but you get the moral of the story.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Texas Big Law w/ no ties--this just happened!

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:19 pm

School/grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Don't want to out myself, but T1 outside TX, grades are nothing special.

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm

yeah i think the conventional TLS wisdom on TX being super insular is a bit extreme. i have decent grades at a T10 but no ties to TX at all and had a good number of CBs in Houston and Austin. i just harped on loving the CoL and low taxes

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:29 pm

lblelalr wrote:yeah i think the conventional TLS wisdom on TX being super insular is a bit extreme. i have decent grades at a T10 but no ties to TX at all and had a good number of CBs in Houston and Austin. i just harped on loving the CoL and low taxes
T10 with good grades getting TX callbacks is not out of line with the TLS CW. The OP hasn't said much of anything about his school or grades so it's hard to say whether his story is all that shocking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

You can get jobs outside of regions you have ties, and people do every year. It's just a lower expected value strategy than hunting for jobs places that you have ties.

Breaking news, more at 11, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
lblelalr wrote:yeah i think the conventional TLS wisdom on TX being super insular is a bit extreme. i have decent grades at a T10 but no ties to TX at all and had a good number of CBs in Houston and Austin. i just harped on loving the CoL and low taxes
T10 with good grades getting TX callbacks is not out of line with the TLS CW. The OP hasn't said much of anything about his school or grades so it's hard to say whether his story is all that shocking.
I don't think Houston is that surprising, since it isn't particularly insular, but I do think getting a good number of CBs in Austin is somewhat difficult sans ties.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
I don't think Houston is that surprising, since it isn't particularly insular, but I do think getting a good number of CBs in Austin is somewhat difficult sans ties.
Didn't mean to post anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't want to out myself, but T1 outside TX, grades are nothing special.
Would you mind giving a little more info than this? You aren't going to out yourself if you give a range of schools/grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't want to out myself, but T1 outside TX, grades are nothing special.
Would you mind giving a little more info than this? You aren't going to out yourself if you give a range of schools/grades.
Again, didn't mean to post anon.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Congratulations!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:03 pm

IAFG wrote:Congratulations!
This is the least snarky I've ever seen you and I don't trust it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:Congratulations!
This is the least snarky I've ever seen you and I don't trust it.
Guy pulls off rare feat resulting in great job. There is only one appropriate response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:41 pm

A close friend at my T6 got an offer at the Dallas office of a top Texas firm this season with no ties - he'd only visited the state once, and hadn't even been to Dallas before. I got an offer at one of the top Chicago firms with no ties beyond having lived in a different part of the Midwest for undergrad. Ties are overrated on TLS for the major non-NY markets, imo.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:A close friend at my T6 got an offer at the Dallas office of a top Texas firm this season with no ties - he'd only visited the state once, and hadn't even been to Dallas before. I got an offer at one of the top Chicago firms with no ties beyond having lived in a different part of the Midwest for undergrad. Ties are overrated on TLS for the major non-NY markets, imo.
T6 lol

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:A close friend at my T6 got an offer at the Dallas office of a top Texas firm this season with no ties - he'd only visited the state once, and hadn't even been to Dallas before. I got an offer at one of the top Chicago firms with no ties beyond having lived in a different part of the Midwest for undergrad. Ties are overrated on TLS for the major non-NY markets, imo.
T6 lol
Yes...not representative.

Anyway, TLS cw is not that you definitely need ties to get a job at one of the big 3 or ny satellites in Houston. However, the cw is that if you don't have the grades for one of those firms, you probably won't get a job at the more regional firms without ties.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”