3L mass mail timing for big law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L mass mail timing for big law?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:47 pm

I am a 3L that just started mass mailing large firms, I'm wondering if its late in the game now, or if its too early? I apologize if this has been asked before, I search the forum and didn't find a clear answer for when mass mailing for large law firms should take place for a 3L

goldeneye

Silver

Re: 3L mass mail timing for big law?

Post by goldeneye » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Realistically, until you get a job, you shouldn't stop mailing. So no, it's never too late.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 am

Most large law firms will do their 3L hiring at the same time they do their 2L hiring, but there are exceptions and things can change during the year. But the real answer is:
goldeneye wrote:Realistically, until you get a job, you shouldn't stop mailing. So no, it's never too late.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:36 am

No clue what the right answer to this. It seems reasonable that you should have already applied. Last year, however, there was some TLS advise about firms not even looking at 3Ls prior to October because they are too busy with 2Ls.

So few people get biglaw as 3Ls that it is difficult to come with correct answers. Everything is anecdotal. Already this year, based on when they did resume collects, you might have missed the boat for some of the V10 (and they are the ones most likely to hire 3Ls).

lifesucks

New

Post by lifesucks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:05 am

at the same time, i've received at least 15-20 firms emailing me back saying they're filling all their needs with summer associates and aren't looking at 3L at all...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:52 am

Pokemon wrote:No clue what the right answer to this. It seems reasonable that you should have already applied. Last year, however, there was some TLS advise about firms not even looking at 3Ls prior to October because they are too busy with 2Ls.

So few people get biglaw as 3Ls that it is difficult to come with correct answers. Everything is anecdotal. Already this year, based on when they did resume collects, you might have missed the boat for some of the V10 (and they are the ones most likely to hire 3Ls).
In general mass mailing is a crappy strategy for 3L hiring because 3L hiring is all over the place. The firms that post early/do OCI (like Cleary, Cravath, Latham, Paul Weiss, etc.) will basically only want people with existing SA offers. I don't know one person at my school (T6) without an SA that got a CB there. There will be probably be postings later in the year for other firms that need to fill slots because of a growing practice area, loss of associates, not enough SAs chose the practice area and so on. But because those postings are so specific to the firms and the practice, generally mass mailing to every big law firm isn't going to work. You're better off dedicating your energy to networking in your market so when an opening does arise you can mine some contacts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Op here thank you all for the responses. So I'm wondering if I should focus my time more on mid size law firms first and then mail the big laws if I have anytime left or if I should focus on big law first and then mid law since they hire later?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here thank you all for the responses. So I'm wondering if I should focus my time more on mid size law firms first and then mail the big laws if I have anytime left or if I should focus on big law first and then mid law since they hire later?
Anon above you has it right

Your question is almost like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic

Just do it now

And concentrate most of your efforts on networking and tryin to get a job/internship for the fall

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here thank you all for the responses. So I'm wondering if I should focus my time more on mid size law firms first and then mail the big laws if I have anytime left or if I should focus on big law first and then mid law since they hire later?
The idea with massmailing as a 2L is that almost every firm is looking for people in the Fall. That is simply not the case with 3L hiring. The ones that do hire 3Ls every year want people trading up so if you have an offer mail to those. The firms that will consider non SA people look for specific practice areas- even now I have yet to see a Symplicity posting that just says the firm is looking for 3Ls in general. So mailing won't hurt but it's not going to help you.

EDIT: Instead of sending a cover letter that will be auto-dinged why don't you network with alumni/people you know at firms of all sizes, that way when they have an opening they think of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Op here again, thanks so much for the responses! For networking should I just cold email alumnus from my law school in firms? I'm also wondering what I should be saying in my emails? Thank you all again, it's really stressful not knowing the right way to approach this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here again, thanks so much for the responses! For networking should I just cold email alumnus from my law school in firms? I'm also wondering what I should be saying in my emails? Thank you all again, it's really stressful not knowing the right way to approach this.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=87297

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”