OH: JD Cleveland vs (More) Regional Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OH: JD Cleveland vs (More) Regional

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Found somebody who asked a similar question on another thread, but it didn't get much attention. Lifetime Ohio resident. Want to stay in Ohio for my career. I do not have substantial debt (less than $60K).

Would there be any reason to take JD Cleveland over a more regional firm in Ohio like Porter Wright/Bricker/Frost Brown Todd/Dinsmore, etc? These regional firms pay enough (most over $100K) and have fewer hours requirements. Plus a chance of making partner.

Seeing as I do not have substantial debt and I'll likely be forced out of JD in 3-6 years, is there any reason not to start at one of the more regional firms now? I figured it would save me moving there later.

Any thoughts would be great!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: OH: JD Cleveland vs (More) Regional

Post by thesealocust » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 pm

I'd start by researching the biographies of senior associates and partners at the more regional firms. How many were lifers and how many started their careers at Jones Day or elsewhere? I'd also look into practice areas you're interested in and try to find articles or reports about which law firms were on the cases/deals. Are the regional firms getting good work, or is the lion's share going to Jones Day? Are the regional firms getting great work, just in different sectors/subject areas, or are they playing second-fiddle to Jones Day?

Also, keep in mind that "why start at Jones Day is I know I just want to wind up at XYZ firm" may be a false equivalency, because you might also not like XYZ firm, and it's possible (though I certainly don't know) that exit options from XYZ will be more limited. In other words, you should consider you may only last (or want to last!) a short time at ANY firm you're considering, and I doubt (though I could be wrong - look into this too!) that JD hires many laterals from the regional Ohio firms.

A cursory glance at Chambers & Partners Jones Day rankings in Ohio seems to suggest they kick ass and take names across the board: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Firms/8422-42611

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Go with the culture you prefer. Jones Day pays more, but not by much. The hours are probably only marginally higher at Jones Day, but it's important to consider the quality of the hours.

If you genuinely like JD better, go for it. But don't feel like you have pick it bc it's Vault ranked or something. You're going to be spending a lot of time at work; if you have to opportunity to work somewhere you like, you should take it. That includes the practice areas that interest you (and/or the ability to switch practice groups).

Congrats on your options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you both for the advice.

I actually like the culture and people at JD as compared to the regional firms. I was just thinking I'll end up at one of those firms anyway, so why not start now and work try to establish myself there.

But it makes sense that if I hate a regional firm it would be harder to move than going from
JD to another firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”