S&C Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: S&C Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:... you cannot really put much stock into the choices of law students at hys. they face choices that law students from other schools consider unattainable, such as boutiques, those mythical secondary market biglaw with work-life balance etc.
HYS here going to a secondary market that pays 160 with a COL less than half of NYC. Most of the people at my school are tragically barreling towards an excruciating existence at a place like S&C in NYC. I find that the K-JD crowd is particularly susceptible to lemming-hood - I imagine because they haven't got a clue what it means to work or why it is they are even in law school other than the pressure from tiger mom and tiger dad.

The people that "get it" are headed elsewhere. Why anyone with the ability to choose would go to NYC or even DC for that matter when places like San Diego, Denver and Austin are a real thing is absolutely beyond me. And if you think it is a "quality of work" issue, you're kidding yourself. A) The matters available in top tier secondary markets are essentially identical, particularly at satellite offices of major firms and B) That practice area you keep name dropping in your interviews? You don't actually know what that means.
i'm anon you're quoting. also hys headed to secondary. i think new yorkers are generally delusional. i try not to publicize how good it is in my secondary market. i don't need the competition.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:33 pm

thesealocust wrote:Also, a decade out of law school some of the lemmings at sweatshops in NYC are going to be partners at sweatshops in NYC slowly earning a slice of the corresponding insane PPP.
this is mostly flame, man. hell, even in-house options are getting super competitive, and the bar is actually pretty low. nobody but law students are splitting hairs over v7 versus V25 etc., or omg, but V&E is ranked XX versus Latham in houston. your firm must be respectable (which is probably like v100). after that, other factors come into play, especially, your specific experience. note that a mid-level associate at quinn will run circles around v5 mid-level litigator in court. assuming they will let the v5 litigator even touch the case to begin with.

also, partners don't make that much money, in the grand scheme of things. i mean it's really good money but definitely not anywhere near fuck-you money, and not what most delusional law students imagine.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/new-data ... pensation/

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Also, a decade out of law school some of the lemmings at sweatshops in NYC are going to be partners at sweatshops in NYC slowly earning a slice of the corresponding insane PPP.
this is mostly flame, man. hell, even in-house options are getting super competitive, and the bar is actually pretty low. nobody but law students are splitting hairs over v7 versus V25 etc., or omg, but V&E is ranked XX versus Latham in houston. your firm must be respectable (which is probably like v100). after that, other factors come into play, especially, your specific experience. note that a mid-level associate at quinn will run circles around v5 mid-level litigator in court. assuming they will let the v5 litigator even touch the case to begin with.

also, partners don't make that much money, in the grand scheme of things. i mean it's really good money but definitely not anywhere near fuck-you money, and not what most delusional law students imagine.

Well that was a random and barely coherent rant totally non-responsive to the point I made.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

barely coherent
That's generous.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:20 pm

That's because your heads are spinning from him running around you in court.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:That's because your heads are spinning from him running around you in court.
True. I'd better get back to my doc review dungeon before he has the chance to embarrass me again.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:20 am

thesealocust wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:That's because your heads are spinning from him running around you in court.
True. I'd better get back to my doc review dungeon before he has the chance to embarrass me again.
You should probably lateral to Quinn so you can learn to be a pro mid level.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:29 am

bk1 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
You should probably lateral to Quinn so you can learn to be a pro mid level.
But I gave my flipflops away to a deranged hippie a few months ago. I could never work at Quinn, I don't have the right attire :(
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 am

Do the SA's from the non-NY offices need to go to NY for the orientation at the beginning of the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do the SA's from the non-NY offices need to go to NY for the orientation at the beginning of the summer?
Yes. Told this during a CB interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 am

What's the timeframe on the bonsai tree? I accepted an offer about a week ago, received a letter (snail mail) confirming my acceptance, but no bonsai tree...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the timeframe on the bonsai tree? I accepted an offer about a week ago, received a letter (snail mail) confirming my acceptance, but no bonsai tree...
I think it took me about a week or so

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do the SA's from the non-NY offices need to go to NY for the orientation at the beginning of the summer?
Yes. Told this during a CB interview.
That is incorrect. The LA and Palo Alto offices do not go to NY for orientation, but I think the D.C. office does.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”