Cover letter when one not specifically requested? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover letter when one not specifically requested?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi, I think I know the answer but just want to double check. I'm going to apply to a firm and the job posting says send resume and transcript. Should I send a cover letter as well?

Thanks

Gorki

Silver

Re: Cover letter when one not specifically requested?

Post by Gorki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I would have said include one out of custom. But lately I have just made the body of the e-mail a "cover letter." My thought here being that if they did not request one, they may not bother opening the cover letter .pdf, or reading the cover letter in your .pdf merge file. On the other hand, pretty much everyone will give the body of an e-mail at least a cursory glance.

Treat the body of the e-mail formal like a real forum. No forum-style writing or "Hey John, This is my resume and stuff for the job posted (see subject line). Take it easy, Student McLawskoo"

Not kidding we got an application to the place I work that read similar to that... they had a cover letter too, but come on...

FWIW my latest mailing/app campaign has been a fail, still clerking for firm I have been at since 2L summer.

Interested to see what others say.

Best of luck.

lolwat

Silver

Re: Cover letter when one not specifically requested?

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm

When I email apps I don't send separate cover letters anymore, it's just the body of the email. I only include them if I'm submitting an online app.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”