C&F: School Disciplinary Action Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F: School Disciplinary Action

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 pm

What are the C&F implications, if any, of having received a Temporary No Contact Order from your school?

Anonymous User

Re: C&F: School Disciplinary Action

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 pm

I've had similar school issues. The way I found out for sure was by calling the bar and asking about it (without giving my name). At my school, there were also "counselors" from my state's bar that came for one day and we students could talk with them one on one in private confidentially. You should look into that, not this forum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Do not mean to hijack... but if I had successfully appealed the school decision, do I still mention their original accusation/probation. I asked my school, when I was applying to law school to provide me with their disciplinary record of me, but they said there was none.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

FWIW, this is from my school's conduct handbook:
"University Temporary No Contact Order

In instances where it has been determined by a University administrator that contact between specific persons may pose an immediate threat to an individual or may cause concern for the safety or emotional wellbeing of an individual, a Temporary No Contact Order may be issued. The order, specific to a person and/or location, prohibits the parties subject to the order from having any further direct or indirect contact, including but not limited to email, mail, text messages, social media, or telephone, as well as third party contact for the duration of one week (7 days).

A Temporary No Contact Order may be issued by the Administrator On Call (AOC), Senior Administrator On Call (SAOC), or a staff member in the Office of the Dean of Students. During the 7-day period, the Office of the Dean of Students will determine whether the issuance of a longer-term Stay Away Order is warranted. The Temporary No Contact Order is issued as an initial response to a complaint and does not necessarily indicate that a violation of the Code of Student Conduct has occurred."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 pm

BUMp

anyone have personal anecdotes to share? worried sick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:30 pm

what did you do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

nothing that caused or threatened to cause physical harm to anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm

I guess it could be construed as "offensive speech" or being "verbally abusive". Haven't met with dean yet.

None of what I said was hateful towards anyone b/c of race, sex, nationality, sexuality, or anything like that, FWIW.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 am

please go on....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 pm

^ :?:

I've kinda told everything i could without outing myself. worried about providing more details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm not an expert on C&F issues, but my guess is that you are fine as long as you disclose it. The only actual C&F denials that I have heard of involved people who committed felonies or something and then lied about it on their C&F application. I can't imagine that they would ding you for a school disciplinary action that didn't involve criminal charges as long as you were in good standing at the school when you graduated and you disclosed it on your C&F application. Just be sure to disclose it. Failing to disclose potential C&F issues is almost always worse than whatever caused the issue in the first place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”