Lie about other offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lie about other offers

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 pm

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = severely retarded, is it a bad idea to lie to a firm that you had a CB with 3 weeks ago that you have another offer expiring soon so you have to hear back ASAP or by X date ( and then write how interested you are in the firm) ??

SportsFan

Silver

Re: Lie about other offers

Post by SportsFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Seems really dumb and more likely to make them ding you, if anything.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Why would this be of any benefit to you? If you want to express interest/top choice or whatever, go for it, but there is nothing to be gained by telling them you have an expiring offer. They're not more likely to offer you because you made them hurry. So the morality aside, this is dumb.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

This is a terrible idea.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Why would this be of any benefit to you? If you want to express interest/top choice or whatever, go for it, but there is nothing to be gained by telling them you have an expiring offer. They're not more likely to offer you because you made them hurry. So the morality aside, this is dumb.
A lot of firms tell you to call them if you have another offer expiring so that they can make a quicker decision on you (assuming you want to work there more than the place you got the offer from). I don't know whether it helps or not to actually do so, and I don't know if they ever go out of their way to confirm that you do have the other offer. (Edit: certainly not suggesting that anyone lie about stuff, at least from a moral standpoint, but whether it actually has any negative effect on the application is a potentially different matter.)
Last edited by lolwat on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Tell them the offer is from Kramerica and you will be set!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Honesty is the Best Policy.
"Always tell the truth--it's the easiest thing to remember." David Mamet-

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 pm

this guy lied about having an offer of employment.--LinkRemoved--

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 pm

On your scale of +1 to +10, lying to people you want to hire you is about a -5.

I understand you want a decision. But if you press for an answer when they are not ready to answer, they will likely do like Nancy Reagan and just say "no."

Besides, if you claim to have another offer, you will open another door to say "no" because they may think "We can pass on him/her because he/she already has another offer."

ETA: (to the extent the people you interviewed with have a shred of empathy in their hiring. If the have none, you still get no benefit)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law321

New

Post by law321 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = severely retarded, is it a bad idea to lie to a firm that you had a CB with 3 weeks ago that you have another offer expiring soon so you have to hear back ASAP or by X date ( and then write how interested you are in the firm) ??

This would be idiotic (and unethical). Do not do this.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:this guy lied about having an offer of employment.--LinkRemoved--
LOL. I hadn't seen that before, but it's hilarious. The bit about the Four Seasons also suggests good reason to be nice to travel departments at the top firms - even though most are obviously outsourced.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

The -5 rating sounds about right. Don't do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 pm

not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"
They are asking generally about your callbacks/offers. You can say that you had 2 callbacks last week or that you will be doing a callback later this week or that you have offers expiring in 22 days (assuming that it's the truth). Try to spin it as positive as you can (i.e. if you don't have any other callbacks and have no offers, say something like "I'm still waiting to hear from 5 firms that I did screening interviews with").

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"
"I'd like to have an offer from yall by tomorrow"

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

When I was at my one callback, a partner asked me if I had any other callbacks and I just said "no, this is actually the only callback I've gotten so far," to which he responded "Hey, that's great for us!" I just sort of laughed and said something like "there's always an upside!"

Got the offer though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
"I'd like to have an offer from yall by tomorrow"
do not say this. I know rad was making a joke but I want to make sure there's no one out there who doesn't pick up on it.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Just to echo what everyone else said, that sounds like a phenomenally bad idea. Even if it doesn't backfire, I have to imagine that violates your school's honor code/decent human morals.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 pm

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:27 am

It's kind of sad that you were considering lying enough to make a thread on it...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 pm

DON'T DO IT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply