Split Summer: pros and cons Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Split Summer: pros and cons

Post by badaboom61 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote: Any thoughts?
100% is 100%.

I'm not sure what other thoughts are really worth considering. If you love Texas so much that you want to make a gamble with 85% odds, no one here will stop you, but if you're looking here for support for that decision you probably aren't going to find much.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am

Can you not find another Texas firm to summer with? Splitting summers is the norm here, and that would be a much better scenario.

It seems that, if you're at HYS and can get a V5, finding one other willing Texas firm wouldn't be that hard to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here again. I am at HYS. I have a decent job experience in TX. But though I have lived in TX for the last 5 years, I am not a local boy. I speak with an accent. Not a strong one, but enough to raise eyebrows every now and then. I am not overly “socially personable” and can be a bit socially clumsy (not obnoxious), but still able to create decent job relations when people get to know me enough. I don’t have any ties to NYC. My family is here. I love TX. Money is twice as good. I would prefer to stay in TX. Any thoughts?
Go to Texas, no question. If you can do a double TX split, that would be ideal.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Why are people advocating a TX/TX split over a TX/NYC split? It seems to me that the latter is safer since presumably the NYC firm has 100 percent offer rates. Doing two TX firms lessens the risk and makes a TX offer more likely but it doesn't eliminate the risk like having an NYC firm does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:24 pm

bk1 wrote:Why are people advocating a TX/TX split over a TX/NYC split? It seems to me that the latter is safer since presumably the NYC firm has 100 percent offer rates. Doing two TX firms lessens the risk and makes a TX offer more likely but it doesn't eliminate the risk like having an NYC firm does.
Because the pitchfork brigade in this thread thinks that the infinitesimal increase in the odds of a no-offer from the NYC firm that come with splitting (which they already agreed to) are so extraordinarily worrisome that he ought to forego a split altogether. Or something. I honestly have no idea.

OP just split NYC/Texas and hope you get the Texas offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:34 pm

seriously, the NY firms are not going to no offer you b/c you split. That really shouldn't be a concern. Especially if its a highly ranked firm that is very conscientious of its offer rate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:seriously, the NY firms are not going to no offer you b/c you split. That really shouldn't be a concern. Especially if its a highly ranked firm that is very conscientious of its offer rate.
I agree, dont worry about the NYC offer, worry about the Texas offer. Going to NYC wont hurt your NYC offer, they care way to much about their 100% rate, plus they think they are better than everyone else. Its the Texas firm you have to worry about no offering you because you are not committed to Texas. Its an insular market. I am sure during your interviews you tried to sell why you wanted to be in TX, going to NYC makes you look like you are full of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”