AUSA - Benefit of Veteran's Preference Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA - Benefit of Veteran's Preference

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Anyone have any idea whether veteran's preference actually provides a meaningful boost in AUSA hiring? Currently an associate in a specialty litigation practice (with significant corporate overlap), and planning on shooting for a district court clerkship after yr 3 or 4, applying to AUSA jobs while I clerk. I'm eligible for a 10-point veteran's preference (although AUSA positions don't actually use the point system), was somewhere between median and top 1/3 at a lower T14, think I could get good recommendations from parnters/counsel at current firm (a couple of which were former AUSAs), and just wondering to what extent the veteran angle might give me a better shot.

Thanks for any input.

anon168

Silver

Re: AUSA - Benefit of Veteran's Preference

Post by anon168 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any idea whether veteran's preference actually provides a meaningful boost in AUSA hiring? Currently an associate in a specialty litigation practice (with significant corporate overlap), and planning on shooting for a district court clerkship after yr 3 or 4, applying to AUSA jobs while I clerk. I'm eligible for a 10-point veteran's preference (although AUSA positions don't actually use the point system), was somewhere between median and top 1/3 at a lower T14, think I could get good recommendations from parnters/counsel at current firm (a couple of which were former AUSAs), and just wondering to what extent the veteran angle might give me a better shot.

Thanks for any input.
Depends and varies from USAO to USAO. Some US Attorneys prefer the preference much more than other US Attorneys.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”