Choosing firm based on possible partner mentor? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing firm based on possible partner mentor?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 pm

I did a callback at a firm where I hit it off pretty well with a partner. She said several times that I would be a great fit at the firm and seemed to genuinely like me. Got an offer from said firm a couple days later when the same partner called me and left a voicemail saying how she wanted to personally work with me over the summer.

Question 1, is it a good idea to choose a firm based on the possibility of getting a close relationship with partner?

Question 2, said partner is slightly out of area of focus I want to do so I'm not sure how to handle this.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: Choosing firm based on possible partner mentor?

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:06 pm

People do leave. Liking multiple people you met is definitely something to factor in, but wanting to be mentored by one person is sort of shaky.

Lwoods

Silver

Re: Choosing firm based on possible partner mentor?

Post by Lwoods » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I agree you should like the firm in general, but building relationships with those senior to you is incredibly important. I don't think it matters that the partner's interest is slightly different than yours, because I assume she has relationships with others in the area you are interested in. If you work with her in her area and perform well, then she can even further vouch for your abilities to those in the other area.

I don't know if you're a woman or not (it doesn't actually matter for the advice, just my sources), but in Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg talks about how mentors are often found, not formally created. It sounds as though this woman would like to mentor you... or perhaps sponsor you, which would be even better.

If you really don't click with the people you'd be working with in your field of interest and you have another option with people you do like, then take that other option. But it can definitely benefit your career to have a champion who is senior to you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”