Kirkland DC vs. ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland DC vs. ?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I plan to clerk (should be a lock for semi-feeder COA) and want to do litigation in DC before moving into the government (either DOJ or USA). I am somewhat torn between trial and appellate litigation (hard to know at this point). I have an offer at Kirkland DC and a bunch of other offers or outstanding applications, callbacks, etc.

My question is, with those goals in mind, which if any firms should I consider over Kirkland?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland DC vs. ?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Paul Weiss.

I'm a PW associate but still, Paul Weiss. If you have an offer and want to discuss, LMK and I can provide more rationale, but we are a pretty precise fit for the goals you are describing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Fwiw, we sound very similar OP (clerkship scenario, offers, goals). I'm going to accept my Kirkland offer in a few days because I've concluded that there really aren't many better places in DC to be than Kirkland. I have heard Paul Weiss's name mentioned, but no one suggested taking PW over KE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to clerk (should be a lock for semi-feeder COA) and want to do litigation in DC before moving into the government (either DOJ or USA). I am somewhat torn between trial and appellate litigation (hard to know at this point). I have an offer at Kirkland DC and a bunch of other offers or outstanding applications, callbacks, etc.

My question is, with those goals in mind, which if any firms should I consider over Kirkland?

Thanks in advance.
What are your other options?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Well, there are lots of firms in DC that are Kirkland's litigation equal, and a few that are superior (and have more available work) in appellate. I would never take Kirkland, given comparable options (say, Hogan), because it felt like a really poor fit for me personality-wise, but that's really up to you. Unless you're either dead set on appellate or have an offer at W&C, there's no firm that is clearly above Kirkland for lit. So go where you think you'd be happiest. If you're thinking about returning after the clerkship, you may also want to consider that Kirkland is supposed to work you harder than the older school DC powerhouses.

Edit: Also, I don't know what Kirkland's gov placement is like, but the hometown firms have more of a reputation for being revolving doors (eg A&P, Wilmer, Cov, Hogan).

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Edit: Also, I don't know what Kirkland's gov placement is like, but the hometown firms have more of a reputation for being revolving doors (eg A&P, Wilmer, Cov, Hogan).
Depends entirely on which party is in power in DC at the time. Kirkland is a well established component of the DC elite. The republican DC elite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”