3Ls starting firm jobs fall 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RELIC

Bronze

Re: The Anti-Vale: 3Ls with Jobs

Post by RELIC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: Yeah my pet peeve is people who talk critically of others but use the anon feature because they don't want to own it. And now that your name is added to it, I'll remember everytime you post anything that "hey that's that douchebag from the 3L thread."
Like I said, I owned it, but I did not really own it because you have no idea who I am.
Yes but as I said now when I see your screenname I'll know you're a douchebag.
Bro you should look back through your own post history before you start calling people out.

You have bragged about multiple t14 acceptances, scholarships, and double digit 2L SA offers. You only recently became humble.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Re: 3Ls with Jobs (No advice for 1Ls, 2Ls, or unemployed)

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 pm

"ok bro" he just said people who are posting in the vale are whining about not having jobs. The vale is probably one of the most useful threads on TLS. Many people have been helped there. It's not about whining it's about finding a way to gainful employment. But whatever man I'm not trying to derail your thread. I was just offering my opinion.

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:42 pm

I apologize for my comment. I don't actually read the Vale thread so I don't know what goes on in there. Unfortunately, many times when those posting in the Vale post elsewhere it is to complain about bragging and douchery. That led to the mistaken assumption on my part. Posters need to understand that people come to TLS for different reasons and just get off each other's backs. Personally, I come here out of boredom while waiting for my start date. I thought that this would be an interesting thread to follow tonight. Boy was I wrong.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 pm

fanlinxun wrote:I apologize for my comment. I don't actually read the Vale thread so I don't know what goes on in there. Unfortunately, many times when those posting in the Vale post elsewhere it is to complain about bragging and douchery. That led to the mistaken assumption on my part. Posters need to understand that people come to TLS for different reasons and just get off each other's backs. Personally, I come here out of boredom while waiting for my start date. I thought that this would be an interesting thread to follow tonight. Boy was I wrong.
Yeah no problem. My bad, I guess I overreacted as well. I just hate when people talk about those that don't have jobs. Many of us are fortunate to be in the situation we are in, but we shouldn't forget we could be in the same situation any of them are in.

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:52 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: Yeah no problem. My bad, I guess I overreacted as well. I just hate when people talk about those that don't have jobs. Many of us are fortunate to be in the situation we are in, but we shouldn't forget we could be in the same situation any of them are in.
Good point. I'll try to be more sensitive going forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:30 am

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on my questions on the first page? Thanks.
Anonymous User wrote:1) I know some firms give the option for part-time withholding or whatever it's called for summers (so federal tax rate is based on what you actually earn at the end of the year). Do any firms do this for 1st years for the stub year (since I imagine most people don't earn much if anything before they start in the fall)?
2) Firms "deduct" BarBri payments from checks? I thought they just paid BarBri directly on your behalf, and any cost to them would just be reflected in a smaller stipend/advance (i.e., I had never heard of tax liability on the BarBri payment -- I guess I know nothing about tax law, but I assumed it was analogous to a gift). I feel like if I raised this with my lower V100 they'd tell me to GTFO.
3) Is it rude to ask HR what my actual stipend/advance is? I think they said it during the summer but I didn't hear. I guess I'll find out in the next few months anyway. Do any NYC V100s even do stipends instead of advances anymore?
4) Do any firms still do stub bonuses or is that a pre-ITE thought?
5) If I live in NYC but am moving to a new place, should I even ask for any moving expenses?
6) If my stipend/advance is $5000 how do I feed myself for six months.
7) I agree the thread title is insensitive so let's change it before we pull a TLS and have an entire thread about stupid shit instead of useful shit.
8) How did I forget to quit my journal immediately after getting an offer.

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) I know some firms give the option for part-time withholding or whatever it's called for summers (so federal tax rate is based on what you actually earn at the end of the year). Do any firms do this for 1st years for the stub year (since I imagine most people don't earn much if anything before they start in the fall)?
2) Firms "deduct" BarBri payments from checks? I thought they just paid BarBri directly on your behalf, and any cost to them would just be reflected in a smaller stipend/advance (i.e., I had never heard of tax liability on the BarBri payment -- I guess I know nothing about tax law, but I assumed it was analogous to a gift). I feel like if I raised this with my lower V100 they'd tell me to GTFO.
3) Is it rude to ask HR what my actual stipend/advance is? I think they said it during the summer but I didn't hear. I guess I'll find out in the next few months anyway. Do any NYC V100s even do stipends instead of advances anymore?
4) Do any firms still do stub bonuses or is that a pre-ITE thought?
5) If I live in NYC but am moving to a new place, should I even ask for any moving expenses?
6) If my stipend/advance is $5000 how do I feed myself for six months.
7) I agree the thread title is insensitive so let's change it before we pull a TLS and have an entire thread about stupid shit instead of useful shit.
8) How did I forget to quit my journal immediately after getting an offer.
3) It is not rude, in fact you should almost certainly ask if you are concerned about planning for the summer. Don't forget to factor in taxes when budgeting. I have children, so I can generally get less taken out for withholding, but because I hadn't officially started I didn't fill out the withholding form yet. 43% of the bonus went to taxes--yikes!

4) I am pretty sure that most firms paying market bonuses (Cravath scale) gave stub bonuses last year. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/11/breaking ... son-begin/ It did not happen the year before and there are no guarantees for this year though.

5) My firm required the move to be more than a certain distance (I think 50 miles, but possibly more) for them to cover moving expenses. Those already living in the city do not get moving expenses. This is definitely firm specific and you should ask HR.

6) Bar loans, credit cards, or move home. For me none of those were an option because I have kids, so I had to budget really carefully my entire 3L year. You may have to get creative, and I would make sure you keep your credit score up. If you look in the new associate banter thread you will notice that many of us (myself included) are literally just making it until our first paycheck. I am still nervous about survival.

Donkeykongmadness

New

Post by Donkeykongmadness » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:50 am

A bunch of the folks in this thread need to get laid. Like now. Never has a thread self-selected so many uptight, wound up a-holes.

But to add my two cents, you may think you won the the lottery or earned your way to the top, but let me reassure you that all you have "won" or "earned" is to be a bottom feeding bitch for a few years during which most people will burn out or seriously contemplate jumping out of the window of their view-facing prison cell.

Trust me, the job and the firm will not love you back. It's fantastic that people have offers. Be warned however that most people will get culled from the herd in the first few years.

What's there to brag about now?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:27 am

Donkeykongmadness wrote:A bunch of the folks in this thread need to get laid. Like now. Never has a thread self-selected so many uptight, wound up a-holes.

But to add my two cents, you may think you won the the lottery or earned your way to the top, but let me reassure you that all you have "won" or "earned" is to be a bottom feeding bitch for a few years during which most people will burn out or seriously contemplate jumping out of the window of their view-facing prison cell.

Trust me, the job and the firm will not love you back. It's fantastic that people have offers. Be warned however that most people will get culled from the herd in the first few years.

What's there to brag about now?
Jesus. You're obnoxious too. I am glad to have the opportunity to be the b"ottom feeding bitch." It's a great opportunity to learn from attorneys I respect and either stay a few years or move onto something else on the basis of my experience at my firm. It's not a winning lottery ticket, but as far as entry level jobs go it's a great one and I am grateful for it.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:35 am

Are you guys serious with this shit about the Vale? Many posters there have been on TLS a long time. Most are people with solid credentials (Possibly better than those ITT) that got no offered or something else happened.

Read the posts by the suicidal people beaten down from the endless rejections. Maybe you will gain some perspective.

You can celebrate your own success without shitting on others.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:55 am

fanlinxun wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: Why this anon?
My other big pet peeve on TLS is people getting all uptight about anon use. It was my post. There was absolutely no need for anon, just hit the wrong button out of habit.

Note that unless you are one of the few people on here who know me, adding my name to it does not change the fact that it is anon.
I don't know you but already know who you are because people love to out douchebags. It's an Internet hobby as old as the Internet.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:OP sounds like the type of guy who would have a colonialism themed wedding in South Africa with all black waitstaff

"Why can't we celebrate our success?"
I was just beginning to think you weren't a bitter shell of a person who couldn't let anything go. Thanks for setting me straight.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:52 pm

IAFG wrote: It's an Internet hobby as old as the Internet.
So about 20 years old. Glad this hobby has some history.

I already apologized for an insensitive comment and let this tread get back on track. Unfortunately, douches like you just keep derailing the thing.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:59 pm

fanlinxun wrote:

I already apologized for an insensitive comment and let this tread get back on track. Unfortunately, douches like you just keep derailing the thing.
Yeah he did. Can we get back to the thread purpose. The state I'm hopefully going to has a much higher bar passage rate than my previous job's state. Yahhhhh! Can the D.C. bar be that difficult (53% for July 2012 takers). I thought that was where all the smart law review kids go? http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... istics.pdf

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:14 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:

Yeah he did. Can we get back to the thread purpose. The state I'm hopefully going to has a much higher bar passage rate than my previous job's state. Yahhhhh! Can the D.C. bar be that difficult (53% for July 2012 takers). I thought that was where all the smart law review kids go? http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... istics.pdf
If you've passed a bar, why aren't you just waiving into DC?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:29 pm

presh wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
If you've passed a bar, why aren't you just waiving into DC?
I'm a 3L. I'm probably changing firms, that's why I said my previous firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Do people actually take the DC bar?

Hope you have a typewriter...

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:40 pm

I have a legit question. For people that are moving to another state for their job. Are you taking your bar prep classes in your current state, the state you will live in when you practice, or some other state (maybe your home state)?

Obviously there might be an advantage to taking in-person prep classes but BarBri's online system looks pretty tempting. What is everyone planning on doing?

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:04 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:

The DC bar is notoriously easy, but most people who actually practice in DC take a state bar and waive into DC. The folks who actually sit for the DC exam aren't the people on LR getting jobs at DC firms.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I agree that the initial thread title was douchey, but the idea that we can't have a thread for employed people to tactfully discuss concerns, issues, questions, and experiences related to their jobs and careers is flat out absurd. We are hyper sensitive and protective of the Vale and of the people without jobs, as we should be, but telling people "Just don't discuss your jobs, period" isn't fair at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:I agree that the initial thread title was douchey, but the idea that we can't have a thread for employed people to tactfully discuss concerns, issues, questions, and experiences related to their jobs and careers is flat out absurd. We are hyper sensitive and protective of the Vale and of the people without jobs, as we should be, but telling people "Just don't discuss your jobs, period" isn't fair at all.
Thank you for this.

I was feeling like an asshole for kind of hoping this thread would be a productive and happy place to ask stupid questions without being called a douche.

alkti3

New

Post by alkti3 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 pm

How much contact do you guys plan to have with your future firm throughout 3L year? Don't want to like randomly pop back up after a prolonged period of no contact, but also don't want to flood them with emails or anything in an effort to keep in touch.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 pm

RELIC wrote:I have a legit question. For people that are moving to another state for their job. Are you taking your bar prep classes in your current state, the state you will live in when you practice, or some other state (maybe your home state)?

Obviously there might be an advantage to taking in-person prep classes but BarBri's online system looks pretty tempting. What is everyone planning on doing?
I stayed I'm my law school apartment and took it online. Seemed fine, but no results yet.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:31 pm

RELIC wrote:I have a legit question. For people that are moving to another state for their job. Are you taking your bar prep classes in your current state, the state you will live in when you practice, or some other state (maybe your home state)?

In person Barbri, unless you are at one of the places that has it live, is just watching prerecorded videos. Some people like to watch em somewhere else for motivation or whatever, but some like to watch at home. Personal preference.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”