How often do you recieve a response to a thank you? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

How often do you recieve a response to a thank you?

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Just like the title says. You have a callback. Send out your thank you emails. How often do you get someone to respond with a, "you are welcome"?

Anonymous User

Re: How often do you recieve a response to a thank you?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I usually don't get a response. If they do respond, within a day or two. Don't know if my experience is typical, however.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Like 15% of the time maybe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:16 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Just like the title says. You have a callback. Send out your thank you emails. How often do you get someone to respond with a, "you are welcome"?
Two callbacks so far with one very short response. From people I spoke with it is not common.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah, I've only gotten a couple responses from all the ones I've sent. Lack of response doesn't really mean anything in my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 pm

I view getting a response as a pretty nice reward. Glad to see I am not off-base.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I guess this has got to be firm specific. I sent out thank you notes to everyone I met or interviewed with and got responses back from all 7 people (4 interviews, the recruiting coordinator, and 2 associates at lunch).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:37 pm

I didn't get a response.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I view getting a response as a pretty nice reward. Glad to see I am not off-base.
Sure but I've gotten dinged more often than not when I've gotten responses, and gotten CBs/offers when I got no response. CB/offer is a better reward than a warm-and-fuzzy feeling of "you're welcome, thanks for talking to/visiting us! :D"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

When people thank me I find it weird. I'm doing my job, not a personal favor, and they almost universally don't have anything substantive to add or convey.

FWIW, by reaction to receiving them as an attorney matches precisely all the reasons why I didn't advocate sending them while I was a law student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:57 pm

In my experience, the response rate was anywhere b/w 30-60% (which I think is not the norm). I would expect maybe 15-25% response rate. Like posters above have stated, it doesn't mean anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When people thank me I find it weird. I'm doing my job, not a personal favor, and they almost universally don't have anything substantive to add or convey.

FWIW, by reaction to receiving them as an attorney matches precisely all the reasons why I didn't advocate sending them while I was a law student.
Do you not thank people for anything they do that is their job?

masterbrowski

New

Post by masterbrowski » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When people thank me I find it weird. I'm doing my job, not a personal favor, and they almost universally don't have anything substantive to add or convey.

Do you not thank people for anything they do that is their job?
I only got responses to less than 1/3 of mine. It doesn't mean anything if they don't respond. What can they say, "you're welcome?"

It's not a negative to write them. At worst, you'll get someone like the atty above, who just thinks it is unnecessary. My atty mentor, however, said he liked thank you's, as long as they didn't seem 100% copy-pasted.

EDIT: I do cosign, however, all concerns about doing a good job with the letter. No errors of any kind (sp, grammar, atty name, firm name, atty dept, etc) allowed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I've had 5 CB's so far. I average about 2/5 responses (one or two sentences). FWIW, I've noticed that the senior partners are most likely to respond (perhaps a generational thing?)

ETA: 3/5 were last week (other 2 too recent to hear). 2 offers, 1 radio silence--same amount of responses all around. I don't think a response reflects anything about your prospects for an offer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I got responses to about 10-15% for my screener interviews. Although apparently I am getting a bit more than average for callbacks: about 80-90% of my callback interviewers have responded to my emails.

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm

The only firm I got 100% response rate on my thank-yous was a firm that spot-offered me, and I was thanking everyone after.

I also got an offer from a firm that I forgot to send thank-yous to. I didn't get an offer from a firm that I had a 1/3 response rate to my thank-yous on, and got an offer from a firm that I had a 1/6 response rate on from thank-yous.

So: responses to thank you's, as far as I can tell (as well as even bothering to send them) means prettymuch nothing.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I'll let you know once I send a thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I'll let you know once I send a thank you.
HAHAHA you always add so much to the conversation!

We recently had a recruiter that had come through our school during OCI email the head of career services (I think they were old friends) mention that, while he didn't need the validation, he was concerned that only 1/4 of the people he interviewed had sent a thank you.

I have spoken to several different people on hiring committees and the response is usually the same---a thank you gets you +0 points but not sending one can hurt you.

TLDR: Don't act like a cool guy, send a goddamn thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:05 pm

I reply. I find it awkward not to, but apparently that's not the norm.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

We recently had a recruiter that had come through our school during OCI email the head of career services (I think they were old friends) mention that, while he didn't need the validation, he was concerned that only 1/4 of the people he interviewed had sent a thank you.

I have spoken to several different people on hiring committees and the response is usually the same---a thank you gets you +0 points but not sending one can hurt you.

Interestingly, career services told us before OCI that thank you's are unnecessary for screeners.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If not sending one can hurt you, then sending one does get you + points, according to logic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OK. I am an attorney, I conduct interviews for my firm, I talk with our hiring committee. Thank yous are pointless and my most common reaction to them is cringing because there's literally nothing worth saying and people just feel pressured to do it because of shitty group think like this.

As a disclaimer, I'm at a major firm in a major market, maybe the norms are sufficiently different down south or in the midwest or overseas.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OK. I am an attorney, I conduct interviews for my firm, I talk with our hiring committee. Thank yous are pointless and my most common reaction to them is cringing because there's literally nothing worth saying and people just feel pressured to do it because of shitty group think like this.

As a disclaimer, I'm at a major firm in a major market, maybe the norms are sufficiently different down south or in the midwest or overseas.
Please go on. Let's say you have 100 interviews. If you sent 100 thank you's---we will keep them generic to prevent cringe factor---would it ever hurt you? Is it safe to say, that on average, you might be better off writing them than not? If someone does not care about them then they will not help, but if they do, and you don't write one, then it hurts you. Is it not worth writing them then?

Will an attorney who does not really care about a thank you going to drop your stock because you sent them one?

Where is the group think in that logic?

I try and do a little extra with everything I do, and 9/10 it does not result in anything significant, but 1/10 times it does. Someone takes notice or it helps me succeed where I may have otherwise not.

I cannot imagine an attorney getting an email that says "Thank you very much sir for taking time out of your day to come down to my school and interview me for the summer associate position," and thinking HAHA this kid is a fucking [homophobic language redacted], let's not hire him!
Last edited by UnderrateOverachieve on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Way to hide behind anon to come at me, bro.

A thank you can only hurt you as well, either through a mistake on your part or sending the same thing to all your interviewers.

And just lol @ "I don't need the validation, but here's something I'm butthurt and thus need validation about."
Last edited by Danger Zone on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Way to hide behind anon to come at me, bro.

A thank you can only hurt you as well, either through a mistake on your part or sending the same thing to all your interviewers.
Misclicked, I wrote it. So your only counter is that if you don't take the time to change up your thank you or to proofread it may be hurtful. And doesn't this premise assume that the person reading would give a shit what you wrote then?

I totally agree that if you are going to send a bullshit thank you that you don't mean because you were told to, it may be a bad idea. I genuinely am thankful that these partners/associates etc. came down to give me a shot and I send them a thank you to express my gratitude. It is respectful, and some people give a damn. And if they don't then it doesn't hurt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”