Paul Weiss (NY) vs. Gibson (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Weiss (NY) vs. Gibson (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've really appreciated the help you all have given over the years so here goes nothing: I have an offer for a SA at GD (NY) & PW (NY) and I'm really not sure which way to go. I definitely want litigation and within that, I'm leaning toward white collar. I know both firms are strong in lit and both are solid in WC as well.

However, I think my issue lies in fit more than anything else. I know GD's reputation (and I disagree with many of the big cases they've worked on) but the people I met at CBs were amazing and we got along very well. They also made their free market system sound not that bad, but what does TLS wisdom have to say about it?Also, Is their conservativeness more limited to DC/is it primarily a function of Ted Olson/Eugene Scalia more than anything else or does it permeate the firm as a whole?

On the other hand: I knew I would like PW before I went and they confirmed that at CBs. They align much more closely with my values and many more people from my school seem to go there (YHS) than GD but I liked the people there equally to the people at GD.

Should I go back for a second look? Attempt to split? If I go for a second look, should I ask to speak with certain people or let them choose?

TL;DR: Loved the people at both firms but don't necessarily agreed with the overall values of GD. What should my next steps be?

Thanks!

soj

Platinum

Re: Paul Weiss (NY) vs. Gibson (NY)

Post by soj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Gibson has a lot of liberals too, if that's what you mean. I doubt your politics will be much of a factor at either firm. No one cares about you, much less your political views.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 pm

I am interested in this as well. I got an offer from both (NY). However, unlike OP I am more interested in transnational work. Any input would be appreciate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Paul Weiss is on the JP Morgan China princeling case. Not sure which firm has a better FCPA practice, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Paul Weiss is on the JP Morgan China princeling case. Not sure which firm has a better FCPA practice, though.
Gibson Dunn has a more extensive geographical reach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”