Latham v. Paul Weiss v. Jones Day v. Ropes & Gray Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham v Paul Weiss v. Jones Day v. Ropes & Gray

Latham
43%
Paul Weiss
19%
Jones Day
24%
Ropes & Gray
14%

Total votes: 58

Anonymous User

Latham v. Paul Weiss v. Jones Day v. Ropes & Gray

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Which firm would you choose if you wanted to do Corporate work (specifically M&A). Suppose you are primarily interested in ability to get substantive work and chances for good exit opportunities.

If you need more information, I would be more than happy to provide. I have equally good impressions of all of these places based on my callbacks and am mainly concerned with the two factors above in making my decision. Thanks!

equality7-2521

New

Re: Latham v. Paul Weiss v. Jones Day v. Ropes & Gray

Post by equality7-2521 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Last edited by equality7-2521 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:49 pm

While Jones Day is a great firm, people voting for it over Latham are people waiting for Latham offers.

Latham has the best corporate department in NY out of these firms. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 pm

OP here. What about the fact that Paul Weiss has been rapidly expanding its corporate practice group? Are there any benefits to being a part of a growing practice group that might not be present at a firm like Latham?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Which geographic region? If Boston, then clearly Ropes. I'm a Ropes person myself, so I'm also biased. ;-)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. What about the fact that Paul Weiss has been rapidly expanding its corporate practice group? Are there any benefits to being a part of a growing practice group that might not be present at a firm like Latham?
Having a rapidly expanding corporate practice means that corporate associates at PW will get more work. However, at well established corporate practices (especially CSM/S&C/Wachtell and probably the rest of V10), corporate associates have more work than they have time for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which geographic region? If Boston, then clearly Ropes. I'm a Ropes person myself, so I'm also biased. ;-)
They are all New York offices. That is my biggest reservation about choosing Ropes, it seems that a lot of the corporate work is run through the Boston office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:While Jones Day is a great firm, people voting for it over Latham are people waiting for Latham offers.

How are you defining "best"? I recognize a quantitative rank isn't the same as your qualitative assessment, but we aren't lacking in deals at Jones Day.

http://www.jonesday.com/jones-day-ranks ... 7-11-2013/

The promo is from the firm website, but the data is from a subscription only Thompson Reuters report. Yes we get those numbers by being big, but we have been very busy with some really interesting deals. I'm not in NY but work with them often (active on two deals at the moment). Other deals I have worked recently with Dallas, Silicon Valley, Beijing & Paris. And if you're going to NY--Bob Prof*sek (*=u) is a huge figure in the industry and an impressive individual to boot.

Short story, OP, deal work is long hours and hard. Go where you felt the best about the people you are going to work with. You'll have decent exit options from any of these firms.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:While Jones Day is a great firm, people voting for it over Latham are people waiting for Latham offers.

How are you defining "best"? I recognize a quantitative rank isn't the same as your qualitative assessment, but we aren't lacking in deals at Jones Day.

http://www.jonesday.com/jones-day-ranks ... 7-11-2013/

The promo is from the firm website, but the data is from a subscription only Thompson Reuters report. Yes we get those numbers by being big, but we have been very busy with some really interesting deals. I'm not in NY but work with them often (active on two deals at the moment). Other deals I have worked recently with Dallas, Silicon Valley, Beijing & Paris. And if you're going to NY--Bob Prof*sek (*=u) is a huge figure in the industry and an impressive individual to boot.

Short story, OP, deal work is long hours and hard. Go where you felt the best about the people you are going to work with. You'll have decent exit options from any of these firms.
Well, Latham also has the best severance package in NYC, since we're offering really baseless superlatives in this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 am

OP, do you have an offer from the NY office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which geographic region? If Boston, then clearly Ropes. I'm a Ropes person myself, so I'm also biased. ;-)
They are all New York offices. That is my biggest reservation about choosing Ropes, it seems that a lot of the corporate work is run through the Boston office.
A significant amount of work is run through Ropes' NYC office. And you also do a lot of work cross-office. You might have to do a little more of work to get on people's radar in Boston, but NYC is pretty significant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Some good advice ITT. What about in terms of exit options? It seems that working at Paul Weiss your exit options are limited to PE firms and Hedge funds, since they do not really have corporate clients. Jones Day and Latham on the other hand are more diverse and would offer contact with both PE firms and Corporations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”