Allen & Overy NY vs. Skadden NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Allen & Overy NY vs. Skadden NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Deciding between the two; interested in international. I know Skadden has better exit opportunities and is top in most areas, but does A&O really have that much better culture and work/life balance than Skadden? Skadden has a bad rep, but how much of that is true? Any information would be helpful.

Anonymous User

Re: Allen & Overy NY vs. Skadden NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm

What do you want to do? "International" is not very descriptive. Skadden does a lot more type of work (M&A, etc) than A&O. A&O is really good in project finance but Skadden is just as good. Unless you want to be at a magic circle firm I would recommend Skadden. I don't have any info on the work/life balance at A&O so I can't speak on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you want to do? "International" is not very descriptive. Skadden does a lot more type of work (M&A, etc) than A&O. A&O is really good in project finance but Skadden is just as good. Unless you want to be at a magic circle firm I would recommend Skadden. I don't have any info on the work/life balance at A&O so I can't speak on that.
OP, here.

I know about the practice areas relative strength (I was trying to stay vague), but I am interested in projects, however, I am basically undecided when it comes to a practice area but I know I want to do internationally bent work. I'm concerned about exit opportunities, but thinking I would like to do public international law eventually. I know Skadden is more prestigious and A&O offers a more humane environment, but I want to know just how much better the work/life balance is at A&O or if it's just a fantasy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you want to do? "International" is not very descriptive. Skadden does a lot more type of work (M&A, etc) than A&O. A&O is really good in project finance but Skadden is just as good. Unless you want to be at a magic circle firm I would recommend Skadden. I don't have any info on the work/life balance at A&O so I can't speak on that.
OP, here.

I know about the practice areas relative strength (I was trying to stay vague), but I am interested in projects, however, I am basically undecided when it comes to a practice area but I know I want to do internationally bent work. I'm concerned about exit opportunities, but thinking I would like to do public international law eventually. I know Skadden is more prestigious and A&O offers a more humane environment, but I want to know just how much better the work/life balance is at A&O or if it's just a fantasy.

If you are not able to get help from tls either do second looks at both or call your school's alumni at A&O.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm under the impression that work/ life balance is completely dependent upon practice group/ what type of work is coming in, not the firm. All NYC hours are virtually the same, apart from Wachtell. Of course, a different culture could change your perception of what your work/ life balance feels like...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 am

I'm making a similar decision with similar interests - here are some random thoughts based on my research thus far:

- Skadden is probably the safer bet. If you are SURE you want to do projects (an area in which Skadden and AO are similarly ranked), this is mitigated somewhat, but across most practice groups it is a lot easier to lateral from Skadden to somewhere like AO than vice versa.

- That said, AO has a pretty stellar reputation internationally. Skadden also has an international presence but I get the sense that AO is a bit stronger. This factor matters more if you are interested in practicing in other countries eventually.

- I haven't done enough research to confirm this, but from speaking with people at AO and reading the Skadden deals in projects, it seems as if the type of projects the two firms work on are a bit different. Skadden seems largely focused on energy projects. Geographically, I think AO does projects in a greater range of countries.

- I agree with the above posters than within a market (NYC) work/life balance differences can be marginal.

OP/others, would you post again if you have additional thoughts or research?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I am considering an offer from A&O. I really liked the people I met, thought there was just a different kind of energy you get at a smaller office thats in its adolescence in the US.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Not OP but also interested in learning more about work/life at A&O. I have a cb coming up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:31 pm

FWIW, I chose a different MC firm over skadden - i wouldn't say it was a "work/life" decision, but more of an office environment decision. I just felt like the MC firm was a little less competitive, a little less brutal and a bit more personable - I feel like these distinctions result from the respective sizes of the office.

I don't know, I don't really think there is a wrong choice. If you end up not in a chambers band 1 practice group, it's not going to be the end of your life or career. From a big picture (non law school bubble), there are definitely differences between the firms but I'd question how much they matter in the long-term. Or maybe they do matter, but do we even really care over such minute distinctions?

I feel like you created this thread because you are leaning A&O (ie that's what your gut is telling you), but your "head" (and your peers) are telling you otherwise, so you're here looking for some support for that gut feeling. Go with that feeling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm

koalatriste wrote:FWIW, I chose a different MC firm over skadden - i wouldn't say it was a "work/life" decision, but more of an office environment decision. I just felt like the MC firm was a little less competitive, a little less brutal and a bit more personable - I feel like these distinctions result from the respective sizes of the office.

I don't know, I don't really think there is a wrong choice. If you end up not in a chambers band 1 practice group, it's not going to be the end of your life or career. From a big picture (non law school bubble), there are definitely differences between the firms but I'd question how much they matter in the long-term. Or maybe they do matter, but do we even really care over such minute distinctions?

I feel like you created this thread because you are leaning A&O (ie that's what your gut is telling you), but your "head" (and your peers) are telling you otherwise, so you're here looking for some support for that gut feeling. Go with that feeling.
Go to A&O.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”