WSGR, Cooley, Latham (SV)? Input appreciated. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

WSGR, Cooley, Latham (All SV)

WSGR
27%
Cooley
33%
Latham
40%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

WSGR, Cooley, Latham (SV)? Input appreciated.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Trying to decide between these three and definitely going corporate/tech trans (specifically venture capital, emerging company, IPO, etc.). Also would have some interest in large M&A but mainly would want to focus on tech/VC work. I really enjoyed all the people I met on my callbacks a lot, so it's not really easy to distinguish along that measure. If I had to say, I probably enjoyed the people overall slightly more at WSGR, followed by Cooley and Latham, but the difference really is minuscule, and Latham in particular has been pretty helpful reaching out and putting me in touch with former associates and summers.

I'm leaning WSGR because I think I'd be more interested in more IPO work and tech trans work to compliment my emerging companies work, which they excel in, whereas Cooley excels more in the early stage and fund formation work. Latham seems to be the only non native firm doing good emerging companies work and they've got the added benefit of having the global reach, but I'm not really sure I see my career path leaving tech/VC work, even if I don't stay at a firm, so I'm not sure how big connections to banking matter as I definitely have no interest in returning to the financial sector. And yes, I have thought about Latham firing first years, and it is a part of my calculus, so while I appreciate the reminder, I hope the thread can avoid devolving into that discussion as it has made looking for similar threads pretty unhelpful whenever Latham gets brought up.

One thing that kind of favors Cooley and Latham over WSGR is that their group structure seems less rigid. Wondering if any summers or associates in SV can help out. Pst threads have been pretty helpful but kind of outdated.

Anonymous User

Re: WSGR, Cooley, Latham (SV)? Input appreciated.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Your post illustrates a very thorough analysis of the major points, seems likes you've done your due diligence, so I doubt anyone is going to be that much more helpful here. My two cents: choose WSGR. From the in-house counsel i've spoken to in the Valley, they just seem to be on a slightly higher tier than Cooley/Fenwick, which themselves are on a higher tier than non-indigenous firms. You really can't make a bad decision here, but since you have to make one, I think the very slightly better reputation and more impressive client base leans in favor of WSGR.

Also, out of curiosity, how long after your callbacks at Cooley and WSGR did you hear about an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: WSGR, Cooley, Latham (SV)? Input appreciated.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Your post illustrates a very thorough analysis of the major points, seems likes you've done your due diligence, so I doubt anyone is going to be that much more helpful here. My two cents: choose WSGR. From the in-house counsel i've spoken to in the Valley, they just seem to be on a slightly higher tier than Cooley/Fenwick, which themselves are on a higher tier than non-indigenous firms. You really can't make a bad decision here, but since you have to make one, I think the very slightly better reputation and more impressive client base leans in favor of WSGR.

Also, out of curiosity, how long after your callbacks at Cooley and WSGR did you hear about an offer?
Two days after both of them.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”