Today it Happened Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Today it Happened

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Today I received my full-time offer from a market-paying international mega-firm in the location I want and practice area I want. I am the first in my family to graduate college (any college at all). I grew up in a town you've never heard of in a state you don't care about. I wore my older siblings' hand-me-downs and ate reduced/free school lunches. I just don't have the words to express how I feel now. There are a lot of things to feel depressed about in this world, and a lot of my fellow students have it tough, but at least right now, in this one moment, I feel nothing but pure, unadultered, unbridled satisfaction. I made it.

Anonymous User

Re: Today it Happened

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I received my full-time offer from a market-paying international mega-firm in the location I want and practice area I want. I am the first in my family to graduate college (any college at all). I grew up in a town you've never heard of in a state you don't care about. I wore my older siblings' hand-me-downs and ate reduced/free school lunches. I just don't have the words to express how I feel now. There a lot of things to feel depressed about in this world and a lot of my fellow students have it tough, but at least right now, for this one moment, I feel nothing but pure, unadultered, unbridled satisfaction. I have made it.
Congrats buddy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Congrats! Firm name/office? (to add some helpfulness to others)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I received my full-time offer from a market-paying international mega-firm in the location I want and practice area I want. I am the first in my family to graduate college (any college at all). I grew up in a town you've never heard of in a state you don't care about. I wore my older siblings' hand-me-downs and ate reduced/free school lunches. I just don't have the words to express how I feel now. There are a lot of things to feel depressed about in this world, and a lot of my fellow students have it tough, but at least right now, in this one moment, I feel nothing but pure, unadultered, unbridled satisfaction. I made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I received my full-time offer from a market-paying international mega-firm in the location I want and practice area I want. I am the first in my family to graduate college (any college at all). I grew up in a town you've never heard of in a state you don't care about. I wore my older siblings' hand-me-downs and ate reduced/free school lunches. I just don't have the words to express how I feel now. There are a lot of things to feel depressed about in this world, and a lot of my fellow students have it tough, but at least right now, in this one moment, I feel nothing but pure, unadultered, unbridled satisfaction. I made it.
Congratulations! I'm very proud of you -- even though I do not know you. It is very hard to kep your head up, and push forward when obstacles continue to come your way. This gives me hope as I wait for God to do the same miracle in my life as well. Best of luck.

What city if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 pm

At least you didn't even try to be "humble" with this brag.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 pm

dr123 wrote:At least you didn't even try to be "humble" with this brag.
Oh come on- at least s/he is doing this anonymously here instead of announcing it in front of all of his/her depressed unemployed peers. If you can't express pride and satisfaction anonymously here, where else can you do it?

Congrats, OP. You should definitely feel great about this, and celebrate!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 pm

OP here.
Anonymous User wrote:

Haha those lyrics are perfect, thank you for that. Thank you to everyone for your congratulations. I'm just so full of pride and joy that I wanted to share it somehow but I can't tell most of my LS acquaintances (not a top school).

I'm sorry I am strictly not giving out any details. My stats are in the spreadsheet contained in the thread "Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results - OP UPDATED WITH DATA."

Sitting here in class right now. Haha I never used to dick around online in class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
Anonymous User wrote:

Haha those lyrics are perfect, thank you for that. Thank you to everyone for your congratulations. I'm just so full of pride and joy that I wanted to share it somehow but I can't tell most of my LS acquaintances (not a top school).

I'm sorry I am strictly not giving out any details. My stats are in the spreadsheet contained in the thread "Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results - OP UPDATED WITH DATA."

Sitting here in class right now. Haha I never used to dick around online in class.

are you a 2L or 3L at least?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
Anonymous User wrote:

are you a 2L or 3L at least?
I'm a 3L.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 pm

My man, nice work. Just remember that, while your accomplishments are amazing in light of your circumstances, people who went to private schools, had mommy and daddy pay for everything, and were generally BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT are going to continue striving just as hard as you (if not harder) because they are expected by their parents, friends, and socio-economic conditioning to always remain successful and continually strive hard until the day they die. Despite the fact that most of these people are narrow-minded idiots when it comes to long-term priorities in life (and knowing what actually makes people happy), I've found that coming from a more humble background sometimes allows you to become complacent with a little success (because you've never seen it before and you want to enjoy life after you've "made it" rather than strive on like your private-school colleagues). Whether or not you want to continue to strive is up to you, but I just wanted to warn you that some people are cold-hearted strivers and remain so for their entire lives, so be careful not to let your grades drop (unless you want to) and don't be surprised when you see your classmates and coworkers, even those from privileged upbringings, striving like Boomers for MOAR MONEY at the expense of anything else (including other peoples' livelihoods).
Last edited by 84651846190 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Good for you, man. I hope your family is proud of you. (You hear some depressing stories about people who succeed and their family/friends think they've sold out.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Sullivan & Cromwell, Kirkland & Ellis
When I was dead broke man couldn't picture this

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 pm

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 pm

That's fucking awesome, you are a baller.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm

My story is pretty much the same as yours, except my enthusiasm was dampened by realizing I have more debt than all of my friends, doubt I can tolerate BigLaw for more than a year, have to sit through three years of absolutely useless pontification at a law school/state I hate just because they were the best rank/scholarship combo, and don't even get paid until next October. Other than that, though, law is great.

Congrats...

Great post by BigLaw Associate V20, also.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My story is pretty much the same as yours, except my enthusiasm was dampened by realizing I have more debt than all of my friends, doubt I can tolerate BigLaw for more than a year, have to sit through three years of absolutely useless pontification at a law school/state I hate just because they were the best rank/scholarship combo, and don't even get paid until next October. Other than that, though, law is great.

Congrats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Enjoy DLA Piper.

Just kidding. Congrats, buddy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Yukos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My story is pretty much the same as yours, except my enthusiasm was dampened by realizing I have more debt than all of my friends, doubt I can tolerate BigLaw for more than a year, have to sit through three years of absolutely useless pontification at a law school/state I hate just because they were the best rank/scholarship combo, and don't even get paid until next October. Other than that, though, law is great.

Congrats...

"I am a sinner, who's prolly gonna sin again" -- BigLaw associate convincing self s/he is "contributing to society"

- 4:04.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Congrats...

"I am a sinner, who's prolly gonna sin again" -- BigLaw associate convincing self s/he is "contributing to society"

- 4:04.
Harsh, but fair.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:29 pm

OP here.

To Biglaw Associate V20:

I'm planning to "strive" while I'm there, we'll see if that's what I want long-term.

To the kindred spirit:

My debt is actually pretty small/manageable. I have zero debt from undergraduate because I worked through it, went in-state, and received need-based grants and merit scholarships. I actually had substantial savings accumulated. For law school, I received significant need-based aid and have worked (for pay) through much of it.

To the sinner:

I have no delusions about "contributing to society" or whatever. I am here to make money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm a 2L with the exact same background (except one of my parents was also in federal prison for most of my life) and just a few days ago got my first SA offer. Hopefully I don't get no-offered and can join you in feeling this way! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Congrats! Love when this happens!

I have a similar story. My family lives below the poverty line. I did not graduate high school and had to get my GED. I too was the first in my family to go to college. After paying my way through college while working full time, I got into a top-ranked law school thanks to a great LSAT score. The whole thing seemed surreal. I could never believe I was there and was convinced there was no way I'd be able to keep the ruse up long enough to get a job offer.

This week I got a SA offer from a V10 in my ideal market. I never dreamed I'd make it to such a great law school and definitely never, ever, ever though I'd be making 6 figures.

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm

TODAY IT HAPPENED is such a cool way to headline your accomplishment. Congrats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”