3L Politically Correct Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ludo!

Gold

Re: 3L Politically Correct

Post by Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am

AllTheLawz wrote:All I have to say is good luck getting through life if the simple mention of someone having a job when you don't have one hurts your feelings. I can't even imagine my feelings being hurt just because someone talks about their job. Of course, I've been dealing with real problems long before law school so maybe thats the difference.

If you honestly get upset when someone asks you "how was your summer" then you really need to take a deep internal look and figure out how to toughen up. Shit gets harder than that.
DESCRIBE these "real" problems

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

Amity wrote:I know from LSD that there is an abundance of sensitivity regarding those that are still looking.
I meant to add, if you feel there was a surplus of sensitivity on your other law school forum, you haven’t seen anything yet. The “I was offered, let’s throw a party” thread will never find its way to TLS.

(you probably have already figured that out)

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 am

J. D. wrote:
Amity wrote:I know from LSD that there is an abundance of sensitivity regarding those that are still looking.
I meant to add, if you feel there was a surplus of sensitivity on your other law school forum, you haven’t seen anything yet. The “I was offered, let’s throw a party” thread will never find its way to TLS.

Jesus you're fucking annoying

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:03 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:All I have to say is good luck getting through life if the simple mention of someone having a job when you don't have one hurts your feelings. I can't even imagine my feelings being hurt just because someone talks about their job. Of course, I've been dealing with real problems long before law school so maybe thats the difference.

If you honestly get upset when someone asks you "how was your summer" then you really need to take a deep internal look and figure out how to toughen up. Shit gets harder than that.
Dude. The thread is about whether it's "politically correct" to talk about your jerb amongst the jerbless. It's not about whether people who don't have jobs are too sensitive. The fact of the matter is that if you're going to spout off about your job, some people are going to silently hope that you burst into flames. Whether those people are or are not too sensitive doesn't change that fact.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
J. D. wrote:

Jesus you're fucking annoying
Isn't there at least one thread where people are posting if they got offers and their stats/number of reviews? I thought there were a couple of threads where people were talking about offers in addition to the neurotic one where people worried their way through the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:26 pm

NYstate wrote:Isn't there at least one thread where people are posting if they got offers and their stats/number of reviews? I thought there were a couple of threads where people were talking about offers in addition to the neurotic one where people worried their way through the summer.
Yeah, there are (or were) a number of threads about neurotic people worrying (I know because I was one of them), but as far as a snoopy dance thread where offered posters congregated …. not so much. That’s where IRL and TLS split ways.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 pm

J. D. wrote:
NYstate wrote:Isn't there at least one thread where people are posting if they got offers and their stats/number of reviews? I thought there were a couple of threads where people were talking about offers in addition to the neurotic one where people worried their way through the summer.
Yeah, there are (or were) a number of threads about neurotic people worrying (I know because I was one of them), but as far as a snoopy dance thread where offered posters congregated …. not so much. That’s where IRL and TLS split ways.
Because that thread would be completely pointless and douchey. There have been plenty of chill sociable TLSers who have posted about getting an offer and people are happy for them. You on the other hand, I hope you get cancer of the AIDS in your asshole

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Void wrote:

Dude. The thread is about whether it's "politically correct" to talk about your jerb amongst the jerbless. It's not about whether people who don't have jobs are too sensitive. The fact of the matter is that if you're going to spout off about your job, some people are going to silently hope that you burst into flames. Whether those people are or are not too sensitive doesn't change that fact.
There's a word for people who don't understand what is polite.

It's "autist"
His argument is like saying "It's stupid that African Americans get all upset when I use the N word. It's just a word- what a stupid thing to be upset about. I've been through lots of hardship in my life and because I am not offended by the N word, nobody else should be offended either."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Void wrote:
rad lulz wrote: There's a word for people who don't understand what is polite.

It's "autist"
His argument is like saying "It's stupid that African Americans get all upset when I use the N word. It's just a word- what a stupid thing to be upset about. I've been through lots of hardship in my life and because I am not offended by the N word, nobody else should be offended either."
Sure.. saying its stupid to get upset just because someone mentions having something that you don't is just like saying its stupid to get upset when someone calls you a historically derogatory and demeaning word.

Again, I said that you shouldn't go around throwing your jobs in peoples faces. But the idea that people with jobs should quietly whisper in the corner about their experiences or that you should never bring up employment or say anything employment related when you aren't 100% sure everyone around you is employed is ridiculous.

We are supposed to be adults. This is beyond "polite," this is asking the world to bend to your sensitivities.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:45 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
Void wrote:
rad lulz wrote: There's a word for people who don't understand what is polite.

It's "autist"
Sure.. saying its stupid to get upset just because someone mentions having something that you don't is just like saying its stupid to get upset when someone calls you a historically derogatory and demeaning word.

Again, I said that you shouldn't go around throwing your jobs in peoples faces. But the idea that people with jobs should quietly whisper in the corner about their experiences or that you should never bring up employment or say anything employment related when you aren't 100% sure everyone around you is employed is ridiculous.

We are supposed to be adults. This is beyond "polite," this is asking the world to bend to your sensitivities.
As I strongly implied before, you're entitled to that opinion, but that doesn't mean that those who are asking the world to bend to their sensitivities won't think that you're an asshole. Social skills, homie- talk to your therapist about them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 pm

In my humble opinion, short of death/health (include here family) issues, not having a job while having tons of debt is a pretty rough deal for most adults. It is a real problem. As such yes, it is one thing to talk to your best friend about your job situation, it is an entirely different thing to parade your accomplishment in the way some people do. I have seen situations at my school ranging from "if you make anything less than 100k then you do not have a real job" to let me post the offer letter on facebook with a ton of hashtags, and cannot help but think that those people are being pretty insensitive.

Cyne

New

Post by Cyne » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:33 pm

So....

For OP: just be nice. Saying "I have job" ain't no big thing. Just don't feel the need to talk about salary, bennies or the like. Entry level is generally lockstep, so everybody can figure that out on their own. Be understanding, and don't ask dumb shit like "what did you do wrong?" Besides, there are better things to talk about than a job. For example, football season, sexual escapades, food, or anything else that won't make others less fortunate feel shitty. This economy is TOUGH, and it is across industries. Shit man, I keep hearing STEM STEM STEM. Guess what, it is not a golden ticket either. Glad you got offered btw, just be nice to others.

AllTheLawz: I get that you are trying to say that people should have a thick skin, and I think it is a necessary trait for attorneys. But mentioning employment vs. having in thrown in your face on a constant basis are two different things. A lot of the Valers get to suffer through random FB posts that no non-LS student would post about their job. I do not know of another industry where people ramble about prestige as much, and I am well connected with the tech folks. I know people who make twice as much as a Biglaw entry level attorney, and they do not flaunt their wealth. Shit man, some of my friends have millions (actually self made) and would never cop such an attitude. It's called class. Not saying you don't have it, I don't know you IRL. But people in the T6-T14 who are no offered or unable to find an SA get the leper treatment and it breeds resentment. Doesn't help that a K-JD is sitting there and pining "ohh why can't you get jerb?" And don't assume that people who bitch about having no job have not had real life tragedy. 1) Not having a job in this economy is a death knell for a lot of careers, and 2) you don't know what those people have been through personally or professionally.

JD: I remember you posting when you were anxious about your offer status. Glad it worked out for ya mate. For a sneaking reason (despite the hate you get), I don't think you'd be a dick to a no-offered classmate.

Typos are likely present. I am drinking and don't care enough to clean them up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 pm

My read on the OPs question has nothing to do with throwing your success in someone’s face. Just the opposite, how to best handle the awkwardness of the moment when someone unemployed brings up offers and the like.

In 3L you will be on one side of the equation or the other.

edit: thanks cyne. I was the poster child for anxious. Also, great post.
Last edited by J. D. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 pm

If people honestly need advice on how to talk to people without jobs when they have a job, then law school is even more socially retarded than I thought. It is pretty simple, just don't be an asshole, and you'll likely be fine unless someone is overly sensitive. If they are too sensitive, then too bad for them.

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Holy moly. No idea that there would be so many responses. Certainly way more than a month’s worth if this were LSD.

As a note, we (three of us at the bar) never mentioned that we had been offered. We just sat there listening and nodding to what they were saying about LS and OCI sucking. All we said is that we were having drinks getting ready for next week. After they left we agreed that we blew it by not saying we had been offered, that way we could gauge how to deal with these happenstances. Actually, what we mainly discussed was the absurdity of 3L. Thanks for the input.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Amity wrote:Holy moly. No idea that there would be so many responses. Certainly way more than a month’s worth if this were LSD.

As a note, we (three of us at the bar) never mentioned that we had been offered. We just sat there listening and nodding to what they were saying about LS and OCI sucking. All we said is that we were having drinks getting ready for next week. After they left we agreed that we blew it by not saying we had been offered, that way we could gauge how to deal with these happenstances. Actually, what we mainly discussed was the absurdity of 3L. Thanks for the input.
You wanted to test out how people would react to your getting an offer- right after they told you they were struggling? Who thinks that is a good way to treat people?

To be safe maybe you should not talk to anyone. Ever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Amity

New

Post by Amity » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm

NYstate wrote:
Amity wrote:Holy moly. No idea that there would be so many responses. Certainly way more than a month’s worth if this were LSD.

You wanted to test out how people would react to your getting an offer- right after they told you they were struggling? Who thinks that is a good way to treat people?

To be safe maybe you should not talk to anyone. Ever.
One of the posters said a few of you were overly sensitive, but forgot to mention the crazy part. We dodged a bullet at the bar, purposely avoiding that we rocked our SA. But at some point someone who was passed over will flat out ask if I/we got an offer. And as other posters said, if they can’t handle it, that’s that.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Amity wrote:
One of the posters said a few of you were overly sensitive, but forgot to mention the crazy part. We dodged a bullet at the bar, purposely avoiding that we rocked our SA. But at some point someone who was passed over will flat out ask if I/we got an offer. And as other posters said, if they can’t handle it, that’s that.
I didn't have a problem with you until I got to the bolded. It was all downhill from there. Good luck with continuing to wonder how to act like a human being.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 pm

OP can't help it if he's fucking awesome. High five bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm

NYstate wrote:

Maybe you need to honestly listen to how those conversations usually go. "It's fine to say yeah my summer was great, liked my job and I'm going back after graduation. How was your summer?"

What usually happens is a lengthy and loud conversation about all the great SA events and all the other stuff. You know how obnoxious people are about their summers and their great job. It is really too much. Read the vale thread, there are some good examples of the endless references to jobs and money people post on Facebook or tweet about.

But it is better to not ask people and let them tell you if they want. Let people volunteer. And most people ask because they want to talk about themselves, not because they genuinely care about the other person.

You don't seem to have any sense of how hard it is to not have a job as a 3 L and the long slog to find any job at all anywhere in the country. It is a devastating experience for people so don't minize it as no big deal. Plenty of the people in your class who dont have jobs now won't graduate with jobs. They may deal with literally hundreds of rejections in their job search. Some of them may end up not ever getting a career going. Don't act like not having a job is no big deal.

Thank you!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Lol

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Danger Zone wrote:OP can't help it if he's fucking awesome. High five bro.
Lol indeed

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Danger Zone wrote:OP can't help it if he's fucking awesome. High five bro.
Born and Bred etc.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”