1 year in, want to leave biglaw - tips? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1 year in, want to leave biglaw - tips?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:07 am

V20, T6, shitty grades. 1 year in, and I really dislike the job. looking back, I had no real idea what I was getting into despite being active on these forums and spending 3 years striving for prestige. you don't really know what life is like in biglaw until you live it, and let me tell you: it sucks.

anyone know anyone who left/have any experience with leaving biglaw after only 1 year? I could probably stick it out until year 2-3 but want to get out ASAP.

also taking questions on why biglaw sucks and is not worth it.

frankc

New

Re: 1 year in, want to leave biglaw - tips?

Post by frankc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 am

Vent, bro. Why does it suck so much?

How's the cafeteria?

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 am

Are you transactional or lit?

How many hours did you bill this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 am

Aside from the sucky biglaw lifestyle, why does the work itself suck?

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:32 am

Any interest in consulting? I know that consulting firms recruit at T6 schools, maybe you could spin your experience and land a consulting job? Define "shitty grades"? Not sure if your grades would matter for consulting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 am

Out the firm, if there is a V20 that sucks then our OCI season 2Ls need to hear about it!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:46 am

If you can stick it out until the end of your second year, it would certainly help your exit options. It's tough trying to leave after your first year with shitty grades, even from a T6.

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:51 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:If you can stick it out until the end of your second year, it would certainly help your exit options. It's tough trying to leave after your first year with shitty grades, even from a T6.
I think it depends on what this person wants to do. For non-law jobs, I bet it doesn't make much difference.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:53 am

cidergirl wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:If you can stick it out until the end of your second year, it would certainly help your exit options. It's tough trying to leave after your first year with shitty grades, even from a T6.
I think it depends on what this person wants to do. For non-law jobs, I bet it doesn't make much difference.
True, but if OP wants to continue practicing law it's better to at least have a rudimentary skill set before looking for a new job. Most first years don't have that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LittleMM

New

Post by LittleMM » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:26 am

Small law one year in looking to leave for big law here.

Do you want to stay in law? I'm using a headhunter in combination with referrals from other attorneys plus independent search. You may be much happier at a boutique firm depending on market (in mine, they pay the same and the hours are 9-7 M-F only). One year may be too soon for in house.

For leaving the law, I'm not sure. Are you wed to your financial lifestyle?

p1arnold

New

Post by p1arnold » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am

Are you getting calls from recruiters yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Biglaw 3rd year here.

I didn't start getting recruiter calls for non-Biglaw jobs until about 6 moths ago. I think recruiters are mostly worthless middlemen, but the calls may give some indication of where the market is. You may have more luck trying to lateral to another Biglaw firm.

If you want out, might as well start looking now. Lateraling can take a long time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:V20, T6, shitty grades. 1 year in, and I really dislike the job. looking back, I had no real idea what I was getting into despite being active on these forums and spending 3 years striving for prestige. you don't really know what life is like in biglaw until you live it, and let me tell you: it sucks.

anyone know anyone who left/have any experience with leaving biglaw after only 1 year? I could probably stick it out until year 2-3 but want to get out ASAP.

OP I do not have any advice but just want to say I am in your position and agree with you 100%. To answer someone's questions I also get daily calls from recruiters, but as much as I hate biglaw, its not nearly how much my friends hate it. Also fine taking questions on how much it sucks.

I'll preface by saying I am already at a "lifestyle" firm and its brutal, things like maintaining friends (oh those things) is a huge challenge but I manage to do so. Also, I will also say if you are single please do not consider biglaw. The last few women I have dated all dumped me after I couldn't keep date time commitment and normal human being could keep (i.e. drinks at 9:30pm on a weekday, Sunday brunch, etc.) At least the people at my firm are pretty nice in general, and I do not get screamed at like friends at other firms. Overall I'd say biglaw sucks on the scale as a solid 9/10. If you were to ask my friends, their responses would probably vary from 9.5/10-10/10. I know at least 6 people in biglaw from law school and do not know one person that does not passionately hate it and is actively planning their exit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:V20, T6, shitty grades. 1 year in, and I really dislike the job. looking back, I had no real idea what I was getting into despite being active on these forums and spending 3 years striving for prestige. you don't really know what life is like in biglaw until you live it, and let me tell you: it sucks.

Yeah. The lifestyle is terrible but people want prestige and money. Do you have debt?
If you want to stay in law you need more experience. But going to another biglaw firm won't help you.

I don't know how to find other jobs.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Out the firm, if there is a V20 that sucks then our OCI season 2Ls need to hear about it!
Do you honestly believe that biglaw is that much different from firm to firm?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:08 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out the firm, if there is a V20 that sucks then our OCI season 2Ls need to hear about it!
Yes. Culture matters for job satisfaction even if the end result is you work the same type of unpredictable long hours. Humans are not robots. If you work with jackasses you will have less job satisfaction than if you work with people who try to teach you and treat you like a teammate.

OP - if you want to leave law, you should spend the next 3-6 months prepping case studies and interview for management consulting firms.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

legends159 wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Yes. Culture matters for job satisfaction even if the end result is you work the same type of unpredictable long hours. Humans are not robots. If you work with jackasses you will have less job satisfaction than if you work with people who try to teach you and treat you like a teammate.

OP - if you want to leave law, you should spend the next 3-6 months prepping case studies and interview for management consulting firms.
I don't think OP was talking about the culture at the firm, but maybe I was wrong. I don't think the culture varies that much other than how work gets assigned and how prestige conscious the firm is.

There have been threads here describing the biglaw lifestyles. I don't think it dissuades many people. People assume they can do anything for that kind of money and they take out loans depending on staying in biglaw for several years.

Not everyone hates it though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 am

legends159 wrote:
NYstate wrote:

We get it. You love your firm.

But that, too, will change over time.

That aside, I don't hate biglaw, but I knew what I was getting into.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am

If you're worried about accepting an offer at a V20 that sucks, then don't do OCI and drop out of law school.

iplulzer

New

Post by iplulzer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 am

Look. Id love to hear OP and others who want to leave explain why. I'm far less interested in the "what were you expecting" or "do you think its better elsewhere" nonsense.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
If you're worried about accepting an offer at a V20 that sucks, then don't do OCI and drop out of law school.
I'm really thinking/hoping this anon was being sarcastic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 am

OP are you in NYC or another market?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

iplulzer wrote:Look. Id love to hear OP and others who want to leave explain why. I'm far less interested in the "what were you expecting" or "do you think its better elsewhere" nonsense.
Lol. You really don't know why many people hate biglaw?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 am

OP is at Debevoise Gottlieb & Thatcher LLP. Avoid.

iplulzer

New

Post by iplulzer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 am

NYstate wrote:
iplulzer wrote:Look. Id love to hear OP and others who want to leave explain why. I'm far less interested in the "what were you expecting" or "do you think its better elsewhere" nonsense.
Lol. You really don't know why many people hate biglaw?
Why is the possibility that I might not, so strange to you? We don't all live on this forum.

I want to hear the experience of a first year first hand. I bet this is true of most who click on this thread. Instead we are met with a load of speculative drivel.
Last edited by iplulzer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”