Working for Peanuts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
J. D.

New

Working for Peanuts

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:36 am

I have a good friend who says I am working for peanuts, only because my friend’s firm pays $15K a year more than mine (my friend would say I am working for chump change if my friend’s firm paid $1 a year more… it is that kind of relationship). But it did get me thinking that $15K is a fair amount of $ and my friend’s firm pays @$145K (not even at the top of the food chain).

In the event my offer comes through, as anticipated, how can I lateral up….given that there doesn’t seem like there is a lot of activity in the 3L OCI world. Anyone here ever lateral up? If so, how?

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Working for Peanuts

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 am

J. D. wrote:I have a good friend who says I am working for peanuts, only because my friend’s firm pays $15K a year more than mine (my friend would say I am working for chump change if my friend’s firm paid $1 a year more… it is that kind of relationship). But it did get me thinking that $15K is a fair amount of $ and my friend’s firm pays @$145K (not even at the top of the food chain).

In the event my offer comes through, as anticipated, how can I lateral up….given that there doesn’t seem like there is a lot of activity in the 3L OCI world. Anyone here ever lateral up? If so, how?
You and your friend are d-bags. Thread/

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:58 am

reasonable_man wrote:
J. D. wrote:I have a good friend who says I am working for peanuts, only because my friend’s firm pays $15K a year more than mine (my friend would say I am working for chump change if my friend’s firm paid $1 a year more… it is that kind of relationship). But it did get me thinking that $15K is a fair amount of $ and my friend’s firm pays @$145K (not even at the top of the food chain).

You and your friend are d-bags. Thread/
lol tcr

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 am

And on another note - I'm not sure why your offer is anticipated. But if your firm that pays peanuts realized your a d-bag; that offer might not be coming. In which case, you can start figuring out how to lateral up from barista to assistant shift supervisor.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:28 am

reasonable_man wrote:

And on another note - I'm not sure why your offer is anticipated. But if your firm that pays peanuts realized your a d-bag; that offer might not be coming. In which case, you can start figuring out how to lateral up from barista to assistant shift supervisor.
Tell you what if my offer doesn’t come I’ll drop you a line since you and your buddy are the go-to guys around here with the inside track on baristas. Until then just pour me a Frappuccino.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:36 am

Is this a real questions or just some weird humble brag?

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:44 am

RELIC wrote:

Nothing to brag about. Just asking about "how to lateral" from those who have or can advise.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:48 am

RELIC wrote:

I think there is a real question here, but it should have been worded:
"I am looking to trade up as a 3L, I have an offer from an NLJ250 firm that I would like to leverage for an offer at a V100 firm, what is the best way to do this?"

Maybe someone who is not rad lulz or reasonable_man can help the OP out with this question.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:54 am

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Maybe someone who is not rad lulz or reasonable_man can help the OP out with this question.
Merci beaucoup..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 am

It's not lateraling if you don't have an offer yet

Also, to echo the other posters, you sound like a douchebag when you post about making 130k and how that's not good enough. Don't do that.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:12 am

mr.hands wrote:It's not lateraling if you don't have an offer yet

Also, to echo the other posters, you sound like a douchebag when you post about making 130k and how that's not good enough. Don't do that.
Anxiety aside, in anticipation of an offer, just asking about lateral. BTW: I have seen several others discuss $160K, etc., so didn't think it was unusual... but np.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 am

J. D. wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Tell you what if my offer doesn’t come I’ll drop you a line since you and your buddy are the go-to guys around here with the inside track on baristas. Until then just pour me a Frappuccino.
I don't get coffee for the help. Know your station.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:21 am

If you want a different 3L job, you should have started looking already. The 3L market is ridiculously tiny. Last year about 83 3Ls were hired at big firms nationwide. That is an NALP number. The way to trade jobs is to do OCI, mass mail, hit up contacts, do all the things anyone else would do. Talk to firms that have you offers that you turned down. There are a couple of threads here that do with finding jobs outside of OCI.

Edit: I was wrong- it was 82 people hired as 3 Ls nationwide
http://www.nalp.org/uploads/Perspective ... uiting.pdf

I've been telling people they should keep looking for another job until they get an offer. I don't know if a below market firm is more or less likely to offer all the summers. Either way, you should already be out there hustling. Plenty of 3Ls are looking for work or to trade- up firms.

Btw- if you liked your summer firm, it might be worth it to stay for less money. Salary isn't everything. You will know the people you are working with, etc.

Your post makes you sound like a bit of a jerk so you might want to tone that down. If you stay at your SA firm, you need to have a great attitude, not work as if you are feeling underpaid. Your buddy is a jerk. He isn't making market either but he is putting you down. You need better friends.
Last edited by NYstate on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 am

J. D. wrote:

Anxiety aside, in anticipation of an offer, just asking about lateral. BTW: I have seen several others discuss $160K, etc., so didn't think it was unusual... but np.
I'm sure you were given at least one interviewer's card, and was told to contact him/her with any questions. This is a question. Ask him/her. The sooner, the better

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 am

J. D. wrote:

I have never seen anyone here post that their undeserved first year 6 figure salary was " peanuts" or " chump change." Not sure where you are getting that.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

NYstate wrote:If Your buddy is a jerk. He isn't making market either but he is putting you down. You need better friends.
Good Lord. Thanks but my friend is just fine. We just mock each other from time-to-time. If I were #1 in class and my friend was #2 I’d call my friend a slacker… just an analogy since neither is remotely possible. On the other hand, if my friend had not received an offer, there would be no taunting. Pretty simple stuff.

As an above poster noted, I should have just wrote 3L, considering a lateral, tell me how to. Apparently anything beyond that scope means having to take a special sensitivity course as not to upset the Rads or the resident barista lawyer.

This leads me back to the original question (in a simplified version) . 3L, considering a lateral ― asking advise from anyone who has lateralled. Thanks.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 am

J. D. wrote:
NYstate wrote:If Your buddy is a jerk. He isn't making market either but he is putting you down. You need better friends.
Good Lord. Thanks but my friend is just fine. We just mock each other from time-to-time. If I were #1 in class and my friend was #2 I’d call my friend a slacker… just an analogy since neither is remotely possible. On the other hand, if my friend had not received an offer, there would be no taunting. Pretty simple stuff.

As an above poster noted, I should have just wrote 3L, considering a lateral, tell me how to. Apparently anything beyond that scope means having to take a special sensitivity course as not to upset the Rads or the resident barista lawyer.

This leads me back to the original question (in a simplified version) . 3L, considering a lateral ― asking advise from anyone who has lateralled. Thanks.
I think you're either a very effective troll or an unbearable douche

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 am

Accidental anon. That was me ^

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:29 am

J. D. wrote: This leads me back to the original question (in a simplified version) . 3L, considering a lateral ― asking advise from anyone who has lateralled. Thanks.
For one, you're not lateraling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recruitment#Lateral_hiring

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Where the fuck is my latte op?!?!

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
J. D. wrote: This leads me back to the original question (in a simplified version) . 3L, considering a lateral ― asking advise from anyone who has lateralled. Thanks.
For one, you're not lateraling
As shocking as this must be for you, it is possible you are right for once ― given that no one has stepped up and said how they successfully lateralled.
reasonable_man wrote:Where the fuck is my latte op?!?!
As soon as you finish with the clean up on table 2, go for it. Oh yea, stop handing out your lawyer cards to the customers ....no one here is looking for a traffic ticket attorney.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm just a 2L, but I have family who are attorneys. The easiest way to lateral is to build a book of business.

If you can bring money to the firm, they will hire you.

This will be late, late down the road. As for lateraling up as a 3L, try your hand at 3L OCI, but it's unlikely.

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:43 pm

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:16 pm

"Lateralling" implies you have a job already. You don't. You have hopes and dreams and a giant pile of inherent douchebaggery that might very well prevent you from fulfilling those hopes and dreams.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm

kalvano wrote:"Lateralling" implies you have a job already. You don't. You have hopes and dreams and a giant pile of inherent douchebaggery that might very well prevent you from fulfilling those hopes and dreams.
+1. Plus, I feel compelled to point out that Reasonable_Man is an employed and licensed attorney so the whole barista shtick is only actually funny when it's coming from him towards you. Sorry I had to spell that out for you dawg.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”