Why do you want to work in CITY X?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why do you want to work in CITY X??

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Other than, "Because you are hiring in that city," does anyone have any advice?

Loose Seal

New

Re: Why do you want to work in CITY X??

Post by Loose Seal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm not really sure what kind of advice you are looking for here...if you're getting that question it's because the interviewer wants to know that you actually would come to work at the firm if hired and that you wouldn't bail immediately because you hate the location. So the answer will be personal to you, but whatever it is should show some genuine like/knowledge/interest in the city and should get across the point that you would enjoy living and working there.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Other than, "Because you are hiring in that city," does anyone have any advice?
Have a story for every city. Family. Practice group. That sort of stuff. If you just want a job because it's there and it's not NYC or DC (though even DC is kind of parochial, you need to stress you want to do regulatory for them if you don't have ties), it'll be a serious uphill battle.

bemusedcapybara

New

Post by bemusedcapybara » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Depends on the area, of course. Some good advice I was given about bidding in non-NYC places but without any ties to stress the benefits of working and living there: low cost of living, I would be able to save more money/I would be able to repay my debts sooner, housing is not that expensive so me and my SO could buy a house much sooner than we could in NYC, I don't like big cities, I like having and driving a car, etc. And then of course learn a lot about that specific office and the areas they're strong in. Just because the firm is well-known for X that doesn't necessarily even mean this specific office has an X team!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”