Public Interest 2L Summer; 3L OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Public Interest 2L Summer; 3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Worked at public defender 2L summer because I struck out during OCI and it was my next favorite choice. I have a few interviews lined up through mass mailing for 3L biglaw hiring. How do I explain why I worked at the pd office instead of a firm?

frankc

New

Re: Public Interest 2L Summer; 3L OCI

Post by frankc » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do I explain why I worked at the pd office instead of a firm?
Anonymous User wrote:because I struck out during OCI and it was my next favorite choice.

Anonymous User

Re: Public Interest 2L Summer; 3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:40 pm

the truth. even if you lie and draw up some story about always wanting to do that work, it'll make them less likely to hire you, not more. you can either be the guy who struck out at 2L OCI and decided to get a different kind of legal training instead of wasting the summer, or you can be the guy who has an absolute passion for public defending. basically you can make them think "this guy has a head on his shoulders, how could everyone have missed out on him," or "this guy doesn't actually want to work here, he wants to pay off his loans." speak glowingly about being a PD, but always frame it as your second choice, since what you really want to do is work in biglaw.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”