I am a stupid K-JD who doesnt understand Corporate law. Help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I am a stupid K-JD who doesnt understand Corporate law. Help

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:58 pm

What exactly is "Capital MArkets"? leveraged loan transactions? Mega-buyouts? I am trying to understand what firms like Cahill do. I understand the litigation side and kind of the M&A side but clueless as to many other aspects. About to go on some interviews (rising 2L) so all help is appreciated

guano

Gold

Re: I am a stupid K-JD who doesnt understand Corporate law. Help

Post by guano » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What exactly is "Capital MArkets"? leveraged loan transactions? Mega-buyouts? I am trying to understand what firms like Cahill do. I understand the litigation side and kind of the M&A side but clueless as to many other aspects. About to go on some interviews (rising 2L) so all help is appreciated
Have you tried google or Wikipedia? Investopedia?
Start there, because the answers to such basic questions will be much better than what you get here. If you have more specific questions, fire away. There are people here with the requisite knowledge

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What exactly is "Capital MArkets"? leveraged loan transactions? Mega-buyouts? I am trying to understand what firms like Cahill do. I understand the litigation side and kind of the M&A side but clueless as to many other aspects. About to go on some interviews (rising 2L) so all help is appreciated
Aaaaaaaaugh. This is painful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:14 pm

NYstate wrote:
I agree plz help
guano wrote:
Start there, because the answers to such basic questions will be much better than what you get here. If you have more specific questions, fire away. There are people here with the requisite knowledge
Been researching it for awhile and still kinda confused... help?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 pm

these words "Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring" make no sense to me :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
I agree plz help
guano wrote:
Been researching it for awhile and still kinda confused... help?
Capital markets - the market for buying and selling debt. read the Wikipedia page
Leveraged transactions - using borrowed money; for example, Ron Perelman in the 80s bought marvel comics for $80m, $10 cash, $70 by selling bonds that marvel would have to pay back (but didn't. Long story). Read the Wikipedia page for leveraged buyout
Mega buyout - a bullshit way of describing a leveraged buyout involving a massive firm

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:these words "Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring" make no sense to me :(
Do you have any sort of financial background? Seriously, just start with the basics on Wikipedia and keep reading as much as you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:26 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:these words "Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring" make no sense to me :(
Do you have any sort of financial background? Seriously, just start with the basics on Wikipedia and keep reading as much as you can.
my financial background is extensive and fully includes introduction to macroeconomics and learning the Hands formula... literally thats the best i got :(

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Biz reorg is a subset of bankruptcy, in which the financial obligations of a business are reorganized and the business continues on (or at least hopefully does) as a going concern.

And as others have said, I think you should go ahead and read up on wikipedia. Check out NYTimes Dealbook as well. The terms are thrown around enough that you should start to get a sense of what they mean by seeing them in use.

Just so you know: many people don't know what these terms mean before law school. It is a very learnable dialect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:27 pm

They mean bankruptcy...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:33 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Biz reorg is a subset of bankruptcy, in which the financial obligations of a business are reorganized and the business continues on (or at least hopefully does) as a going concern.

And as others have said, I think you should go ahead and read up on wikipedia. Check out NYTimes Dealbook as well. The terms are thrown around enough that you should start to get a sense of what they mean by seeing them in use.

Just so you know: many people don't know what these terms mean before law school. It is a very learnable dialect.

How important is it to know this shit before interviews? Do interviewers even go into specifics discussing this stuff, or is a decently thought out answer to Corporate or Litigation enough?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Lets say a company is worth $50 million, but has $100 million in debt, which it can't or won't pay back. For simplicity sake, lets call all shareholders A and divide bond holders into B and C, each accounting for half. A collectively owns 100% of the company.
Rather than go bankrupt, an agreement is reached.

A collectively owns 30%
B collectively owns 70%, and forgives all debt
C collectively takes a haircut on the debt, so now they're only owed $40m

Instead of A owning a worthless company they've basically given a chunk if ownership away but retain some leftovers.
Instead of B being owed more money than they can ever get from the company, they take up majority ownership, giving them a say in how the company will be run and a big chunk of the profit.
Instead of C being owed more money than they'll ever get back, they agree to accept a slight reduction in the value of the loan while significantly increasing the likelihood of getting it paid back

Everyone's a winner
Last edited by guano on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

How important is it to know this shit before interviews? Do interviewers even go into specifics discussing this stuff, or is a decently thought out answer to Corporate or Litigation enough?
I think it depends. Being a K-JD myself, I do have a bit of business experience (and a business major in college), and basically saying "I want to do transactional but not sure exactly which practice area" seemed to be a good enough answer for most. I know you mentioned Cahill, and the interviewer I had with them did grill me a bit on why I wanted to do corporate law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 pm

0L here...hth:

--LinkRemoved--

Edit: briefly explains capital markets

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Go to Chambers Associate and read the practice group descriptions.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Go to Chambers Associate and read the practice group descriptions.
Didn't mean to be anonymous. This was me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm

guano wrote:
Lets say a company is worth $50 million, but has $100 million in debt, which it can't or won't pay back. For simplicity sake, lets call all shareholders A and divide bond holders into B and C, each accounting for half. A collectively owns 100% of the company.

A collectively owns 30%

Instead of A owning a worthless company they've basically given a chunk if ownership away but retain some leftovers.
Instead of B being owed more money than they can ever get from the company, they take up majority ownership, giving them a say in how the company will be run and a big chunk of the profit.
Instead of C being owed more money than they'll ever get back, they agree to accept a slight reduction in the value of the loan while significantly increasing the likelihood of getting it paid back

Everyone's a winner
and lawyers roles in this is what?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to Chambers Associate and read the practice group descriptions.
Didn't mean to be anonymous. This was me.
I prob have subpar reading comp skills but im still not entirely sure what lawyers roles are and why it takes so much god damn money and time and people for these things to happen

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
guano wrote:

A collectively owns 30%

Everyone's a winner
All the parts that were cut out to make this seem simple.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
guano wrote:

A collectively owns 30%

Everyone's a winner
All the parts that were cut out to make this seem simple.
This. Everything from negotiating the new structure to drafting the documents, to convincing all parties to get on board to dealing with holdouts to making sure the deal gets done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks!
You're welcome

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

Capital Markets (also often referred to as "Cap-M") is basically just raising money for companies. I'm going to give an oversimplified explanation that's not entirely accurate because of simplification.

Lets say that General Electric wants to build a nuclear power plant (~$5 billion in the US iirc). They may have the cash on hand already but it's probably not an efficient use of the money given current interest rates etc. So they have a few options: they can borrow the money from a bank (traditional loan) where they may or may not pledge other assets as security on that debt; alternately (and this is where Capital Markets really comes in) they can raise money by issuing bonds (basically selling debt to outside investors, either public or private) or they can sell shares in either the entire company or in another company that was created for the sole purpose of ownership of that project. Any of these options will allow them to raise money (aka "capital") through the various mechanisms (aka "market") which will allow them to build the project. Now, keep in mind that many of these transactions aren't for the purpose of building a specific project (project finance groups handle that mostly), but for raising money for the company to continue business, expand into a new business, buy another company or group, or pay down debt that has a higher cost/interest rate than the capital they are seeking to raise.

One interesting note is that some Capital Markets work may slow down soon. As interest rates rise (which the fed has signalled they will soon), it becomes more expensive to raise money and so a variety of things that were previously feasible because of the low time-cost of the money, are no longer feasible. The upside is that right now, when it's clear rates will rise soon, is when a lot of people try to raise as much money as possible.

law321

New

Post by law321 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

You are not expected to know this stuff inside and out. But if you indicate you want corporate, and I ask why, you should have an intelligent response, which will require some basic knowledge of the legal/business concepts relevant to the practice area of interest.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:
Capital Markets (also often referred to as "Cap-M") is basically just raising money for companies. I'm going to give an oversimplified explanation that's not entirely accurate because of simplification.

Lets say that General Electric wants to build a nuclear power plant (~$5 billion in the US iirc). They may have the cash on hand already but it's probably not an efficient use of the money given current interest rates etc. So they have a few options: they can borrow the money from a bank (traditional loan) where they may or may not pledge other assets as security on that debt; alternately (and this is where Capital Markets really comes in) they can raise money by issuing bonds (basically selling debt to outside investors, either public or private) or they can sell shares in either the entire company or in another company that was created for the sole purpose of ownership of that project. Any of these options will allow them to raise money (aka "capital") through the various mechanisms (aka "market") which will allow them to build the project. Now, keep in mind that many of these transactions aren't for the purpose of building a specific project (project finance groups handle that mostly), but for raising money for the company to continue business, expand into a new business, buy another company or group, or pay down debt that has a higher cost/interest rate than the capital they are seeking to raise.

One interesting note is that some Capital Markets work may slow down soon. As interest rates rise (which the fed has signalled they will soon), it becomes more expensive to raise money and so a variety of things that were previously feasible because of the low time-cost of the money, are no longer feasible. The upside is that right now, when it's clear rates will rise soon, is when a lot of people try to raise as much money as possible.
The flop side to rising interest rates is that it's usually accompanied by greater returns overall, so there's more opportunities for investing (this has more caveats than I care to write)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”