Declining an Interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining an Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 pm

So I'm top 25% at a T1 not on law review (secondary journal). After OCI results came back (did bad) I panicked that I wouldn't get a firm job/any job so I decided to mass mail every firm on the NLJ350 and NALP. Spent a ton of time and mailed every firm on the list. Surprisingly I have actually gotten some good results. I have 10 interviews set up, 3 of them are with Vault firms.

Today I got an email from a firm asking me to call and schedule an interview. After doing some research on the firm I realize I have absolutely no interest working there, none. Only reason I applied was because I figured beggars can't be choosers and I would take a job at this firm rather than not have a biglaw job at all (they are on the NLJ350 and pay market).

Now that I actually have some interviews I feel better about my job situation and would honestly like to decline the interview. However, I feel like I have to do the interview. After all I did reach out to them.

What should I do? Suggestions?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Declining an Interview

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Do the interview. You don't have a job offer until you have a job offer. Presumably if all the others fell through you'd still prefer this to nothing. Besides, it will be good practice for your other interviews.

And if you really hate them after the interview and make you an offer, you can always turn them down.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 pm

You have 10 interviews and no offers and you're getting picky?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

soj wrote:You have 10 interviews and no offers and you're getting picky?
After getting dinged at OCI.

Just LOL

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 pm

10 interviews within 1 week of mailing 350+ firms, considering my grades I think that's pretty good. I'm pretty confident now that I will get something. I feel like I no longer have to take ANY job I can get, I am no longer desperate. This firm doesn't really have any practice area I would be willing to work in. I'm leaning heavily towards just doing the interview. But let us say I want to decline it, how would I decline the interview?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:10 interviews within 1 week of mailing 350+ firms, considering my grades I think that's pretty good. I'm pretty confident now that I will get something. I feel like I no longer have to take ANY job I can get, I am no longer desperate. This firm doesn't really have any practice area I would be willing to work in. I'm leaning heavily towards just doing the interview. But let us say I want to decline it, how would I decline the interview?
Oh please be careful of hubris. It is possible to have a lot more than 10 interviews and not get an offer. You have to do this interview and sell yourself to the firm.

There was a northwestern grad who was a mod here ( I think) who had a ton of callbacks, but then the recession hit and he ended up with no job. 10 interviews is nothing and you haven't even had a screener, so they have no idea if they will like you.

Reality check: your credentials are mediocre and other people with better credentials will be gunning for these jobs. You have an excellent chance of not getting a job if they find people from better schools with better grades. Or they may just think you won't be a good fit. You have to keep hustling until you have accepted an offer.
Last edited by NYstate on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Ok I get, I should do the interview. I WILL do the interview. You've convinced me.

However, HYPOTHETICALLY how would one decline to do a screening interview? What about a callback?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok I get, I should do the interview. I WILL do the interview. You've convinced me.

However, HYPOTHETICALLY how would one decline to do a screening interview? What about a callback?
You don't until you have an offer. Then, if you get and accelt an offer,as long as it's not same day, you explain you have accepted an offer and need to cancel.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 pm

You don't until you have an offer. Then, if you get and accelt an offer,as long as it's not same day, you explain you have accepted an offer and need to cancel.
Yep.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iplulzer

New

Post by iplulzer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 pm

ROTFLMFAO @ feeling so confident w 10 screeners and zero offers. Also this:
Jsa725 wrote:Can someone smarter than me please respond to the OP's retarded logic.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:20 pm

OP this is 1L stuff seriously. You need to cancel 9 of those interviews right now. Just keep the interview with the 1 firm that has "work/life balance" box checked on NALP. You got this.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm top 25% at a T1 not on law review (secondary journal). After OCI results came back (did bad) I panicked that I wouldn't get a firm job/any job so I decided to mass mail every firm on the NLJ350 and NALP. Spent a ton of time and mailed every firm on the list. Surprisingly I have actually gotten some good results. I have 10 interviews set up, 3 of them are with Vault firms.

Today I got an email from a firm asking me to call and schedule an interview. After doing some research on the firm I realize I have absolutely no interest working there, none. Only reason I applied was because I figured beggars can't be choosers and I would take a job at this firm rather than not have a biglaw job at all (they are on the NLJ350 and pay market).

Now that I actually have some interviews I feel better about my job situation and would honestly like to decline the interview. However, I feel like I have to do the interview. After all I did reach out to them.

What should I do? Suggestions?

You're a dick. Do the interview.

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm

OP, if you have time, PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”