Career potential for "career associates/staff attorneys" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career potential for "career associates/staff attorneys"

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am

So, I have an offer for a Career Associate position at a V20 in a major Northeastern city. The position appeals to me since it is in a practice area that I am very interested in (transactional, not litigation) and the pay is decent and the job sounds like something where I could definitely learn something and enhance my skill set. I have even heard some people say that the work is not going to be that much different from what a regular first or second year associate would do. So, overall this sounds like a deal that would be acceptable for a year or two.

However, I do not want to be in this position forever and would very likely want to move on into a "real" position, whether that be in-house somewhere, or an associate position with a big or solid small firm.

I have not found all that much on what the career potential for these positions is? Anyone have anecdotal evidence on whether this may actually lead to a more desirable job eventually? How bad is the reputational damage, assuming that one only does this for a year or two?

My own thinking on the reputational aspect is: how bad can it really be? Given the types of jobs that 2013 grads are looking at that struck out at biglaw/clerkships, this career associate position sounds just as desirable as any other small firm job or some fellowship.

Any input appreciated!

lolwat

Silver

Re: Career potential for "career associates/staff attorneys"

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:55 am

As desirable as some "other small firm job or some fellowship" maybe.

Anywhere as desirable as being hired as a "real" associate, no.

I don't have tons of evidence, but I've spoken to legal recruiters about whether it makes sense to take a "staff attorney" job at this point in my career (very recently out of law school). The answer I got was: (1) it's a job, which is better than no job; (2) there's less job stability than being a "real" associate, as staff associates are more likely to be the first to get laid off if the firm has to downsize; (3) it's very difficult to move from a staff associate position to a real associate position at another firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Career potential for "career associates/staff attorneys"

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 am

Worked on a project at my law firm that gave me access to the invoices and billing of other law firms. A few firm invoices included time for the equivalent of a "career associate" being staffed on the deal. It is 100% true that these career associates do what a regular first or second year associate do. Problem is, these career associates all had 6+ years with the firm and were STILL doing what regular first or second years do. The firm seemed to have no interest in developing their careers and I don't think they did any work that would help them on the lateral market.

I am sure some people find it possible to move from a career associate position to a normal associate position but I can't imagine it is very common or that it ever happens within the same firm.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”