References Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I need just one more for a job application, but I'm unsure who to ask to be it. Here are my options:

1. Professors? I didn't talk with any of them much during the school year, usually I popped in 0-1 time if I had questions. I haven't seen my legal writing professor in a while either.
2. Externship supervisor? She's somewhere else, and she and I don't get along.
3. College-days field work supervisor? He probably will barely remember me. I've asked him to be my reference before, and he's said yes before, but I feel queasy about having one of my three references be someone I worked for during college.
4. Don't give references, lose job opportunity. I don't think this is an option.

I'm kind of out of options. I have to get the references in soon. I think one last-ditch option might be going up to my new externship supervisor and asking him if he'd be willing to be my reference, but by that point I would have met him at most twice.

What do you guys recommend I do? Have any of you had to come up with references pretty much at the last minute just because people (working where you want to be) requested them?

Return to “Legal Employment”